2009 Kansas Code
Chapter 47 LIVESTOCK AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS
Article 17 PET ANIMAL ACT
47-1725. Kansas pet animal advisory board; duties and powers.
47-1725. Kansas pet animal advisory board; duties and powers. (a) There is hereby created the Kansas pet animal advisory board, consisting of 10 members. Members shall be appointed by the governor as follows:
(1) One member shall be a representative of a licensed animal shelter or pound;
(2) one member shall be an employee of a licensed research facility;
(3) one member shall be a licensed animal breeder;
(4) one member shall be a licensed retail breeder;
(5) one member shall be a licensed pet shop operator;
(6) one member shall be a licensed veterinarian and shall be selected from a list of three names presented to the governor by the Kansas veterinary medical association;
(7) one member shall be a private citizen with no link to the industry;
(8) one member shall be a licensed animal distributor;
(9) one member shall be a licensed hobby breeder; and
(10) one member shall be a licensed kennel operator.
(b) Of the members first appointed to the board, the governor shall designate three whose terms shall expire June 30, 1992; three whose terms shall expire June 30, 1993; and three whose terms shall expire June 30, 1994. After the expiration of such terms, each member shall be appointed for a term of three years and until a successor is appointed and qualified.
(c) A vacancy on the board of a member shall be filled for the unexpired term by appointment by the governor.
(d) The board shall meet at least once every calendar quarter regularly or at such other times as the chairperson or a majority of the board members determine. A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum for conducting board business.
(e) The members of the board shall annually elect a chairperson.
(f) The board shall have the following duties, authorities and powers:
(1) To advise the Kansas livestock commissioner on hiring a director to implement the Kansas pet animal act;
(2) to review the status of the Kansas pet animal act;
(3) to make recommendations on changes to the Kansas pet animal act; and
(4) to make recommendations concerning the rules and regulations for the Kansas pet animal act.
(g) Board members who are required to be licensed except retail breeders shall be affiliated with or a member of an organized pet animal association which is representative of the position such person will hold on the board.
(h) Upon the effective date of this act, the governor shall appoint a licensed kennel operator. When the current board members' terms expire, the governor shall appoint persons or representatives in accordance with this section.
History: L. 1991, ch. 152, § 25; L. 1996, ch. 151, § 24; July 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.