2022 Iowa Code
Title II - ELECTIONS AND OFFICIAL DUTIES
Chapter 42 - REDISTRICTING GENERAL ASSEMBLY AND CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS
Section 42.1 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
1. “Chief election officer” means the state commissioner of elections as defined by section 47.1.
2. “Commission” means the temporary redistricting advisory commission established pursuant to this chapter.
3. “Federal census” means the decennial census required by federal law to be conducted by the United States bureau of the census in every year ending in zero.
4. “Four selecting authorities” means:
a. The majority floor leader of the state senate.
b. The minority floor leader of the state senate.
c. The majority floor leader of the state house of representatives.
d. The minority floor leader of the state house of representatives.
5. “Partisan public office” means:
a. An elective or appointive office in the executive or legislative branch or in an independent establishment of the federal government.
b. An elective office in the executive or legislative branch of the government of this state, or an office which is filled by appointment and is exempt from the merit system under section 8A.412.
c. An office of a county, city or other political subdivision of this state which is filled by an election process involving nomination and election of candidates on a partisan basis.
6. “Plan” means a plan for legislative and congressional reapportionment drawn up pursuant to the requirements of this chapter.
7. “Political party office” means an elective office in the national or state organization of a political party, as defined by section 43.2.
8. “Relative” means an individual who is related to the person in question as father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, grandfather, grandmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother or half sister.
2003 Acts, ch 145, §151