2021 Iowa Code
Title XIV - PROPERTY
Chapter 562A - UNIFORM RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT LAW
Section 562A.9 - Terms and conditions of rental agreement.
562A.9 Terms and conditions of rental agreement.
1. The landlord and tenant may include in a rental agreement, terms and conditions not prohibited by this chapter or other rule of law including rent, term of the agreement, and other provisions governing the rights and obligations of the parties.
2. In absence of agreement, the tenant shall pay as rent the fair rental value for the use and occupancy of the dwelling unit.
3. Rent shall be payable without demand or notice at the time and place agreed upon by the parties. Unless otherwise agreed, rent is payable at the dwelling unit and periodic rent is payable at the beginning of any term of one month or less and otherwise in equal monthly installments at the beginning of each month. Unless otherwise agreed, rent shall be uniformly apportionable from day-to-day.
4. For rental agreements in which the rent does not exceed seven hundred dollars per month, a rental agreement shall not provide for a late fee that exceeds twelve dollars per day or a total amount of sixty dollars per month. For rental agreements in which the rent is greater than seven hundred dollars per month, a rental agreement shall not provide for a late fee that exceeds twenty dollars per day or a total amount of one hundred dollars per month.
5. Unless the rental agreement fixes a definite term, the tenancy shall be week-to-week in case of a roomer who pays weekly rent, and in all other cases month-to-month.
[C79, 81, §562A.9]
2013 Acts, ch 97, §3
Referred to in §562A.34