2018 Iowa Code
Title XIV - PROPERTY
Chapter 557A - TIME-SHARES
Section 557A.14 - Purchaser’s and developer’s rights relating to property report.
Purchaser’s and developer’s rights relating to property report.
1. A purchaser may at any time within five business days following the receipt of all information required in sections 557A.11 and 557A.12 rescind in writing a contract of sale without stating any reason and without any liability on the purchaser’s part. All payments made by the purchaser before rescission shall be refunded within thirty days after receipt of the notice of rescission as provided in subsection 3.
2. The developer may cancel the contract of purchase without penalty to either person at any time within five business days after the receipt by the purchaser of the disclosure materials required in sections 557A.11 and 557A.12. The developer shall return all payments made and the purchaser shall return all materials received in good condition, reasonable wear and tear excepted. If the materials are not returned, the developer may deduct their cost and return the balance to the purchaser.
3. If either person elects to cancel a contract pursuant to subsection 1 or 2, the person may do so by hand delivery or personal service, or electronic or prepaid United States mail to the other person or to the person’s agent for service of process.
4. Material furnished under sections 557A.11 and 557A.12 may not be changed or amended following delivery to a purchaser without the prior approval of the purchaser, if the change or amendment would materially affect the rights of the purchaser. A copy of amendments shall be delivered promptly to the purchaser.
5. A developer who makes a false or misleading statement of fact that reasonably could affect the purchaser’s decision to enter into the contract of sale, or omits to include a fact, in the information required to be disclosed under sections 557A.11 and 557A.12 shall be liable to the purchaser for damages, and, at the election of the purchaser, the misrepresentation shall be sufficient to void the contract for sale.
6. Rights of purchasers under this section shall not be waived in the contract of sale and an attempt to waive is void.
85 Acts, ch 155, §14
Referred to in §557A.3