2018 Iowa Code
Title XII - BUSINESS ENTITIES
Chapter 504 - REVISED IOWA NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT
Section 504.808 - Removal of directors elected by members or directors.
Removal of directors elected by members or directors.
1. The members of a corporation may remove one or more directors elected by the members without cause.
2. If a director is elected by a class, chapter, or other organizational unit or by region or other geographic grouping, the director may be removed only by the members of that class, chapter, unit, or grouping.
3. Except as provided in subsection 9, a director may be removed under subsection 1 or 2 only if the number of votes cast to remove the director would be sufficient to elect the director at a meeting to elect directors.
4. If cumulative voting is authorized, a director shall not be removed if the number of votes, or if the director was elected by a class, chapter, unit, or grouping of members, the number of votes of that class, chapter, unit, or grouping, sufficient to elect the director under cumulative voting is voted against the director’s removal.
5. A director elected by members may be removed by the members only at a meeting called for the purpose of removing the director and the meeting notice must state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is the removal of the director.
6. For the purpose of computing whether a director is protected from removal under subsections 2 through 4, it should be assumed that the votes against removal are cast in an election for the number of directors of the group to which the director to be removed belonged on the date of that director’s election.
7. An entire board of directors may be removed under subsections 1 through 5.
8. A director elected by the board may be removed without cause by the vote of two-thirds of the directors then in office or such greater number as is set forth in the articles or bylaws. However, a director elected by the board to fill the vacancy of a director elected by the members may be removed without cause by the members, but not by the board.
9. If at the beginning of a director’s term on the board the articles or bylaws provide that a director may be removed for missing a specified number of board meetings, the board may remove the director for failing to attend the specified number of meetings. The director may be removed only if a majority of the directors then in office votes for the removal.
10. The articles or bylaws of a corporation may do both of the following:
a. Limit the application of this section.
b. Set forth the vote and procedures by which the board or any person may remove with or without cause a director elected by the members or the board.
2004 Acts, ch 1049, §79, 192; 2006 Acts, ch 1089, §49
Referred to in §504.716