2018 Iowa Code
Title XII - BUSINESS ENTITIES
Chapter 504 - REVISED IOWA NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT
Section 504.202 - Articles of incorporation.
Articles of incorporation.
1. The articles of incorporation shall set forth all of the following:
a. A corporate name for the corporation that satisfies the requirements of section 504.401.
b. The address of the corporation’s initial registered office and the name of its initial registered agent at that office.
c. The name and address of each incorporator.
d. Whether the corporation will have members. A corporation incorporated prior to January 1, 2005, may state whether it will have members in either the articles of incorporation or in the corporate bylaws.
e. For corporations incorporated after January 1, 2005, provisions not inconsistent with law regarding the distribution of assets on dissolution.
2. The articles of incorporation may set forth any of the following:
a. The purpose for which the corporation is organized, which may be, either alone or in combination with other purposes, the transaction of any lawful activity.
b. The names and addresses of the individuals who are to serve as the initial directors.
c. Provisions not inconsistent with law regarding all of the following:
(1) Managing and regulating the affairs of the corporation.
(2) Defining, limiting, and regulating the powers of the corporation, its board of directors, and members, or any class of members.
(3) The characteristics, qualifications, rights, limitations, and obligations attaching to each or any class of members.
d. (1) A provision eliminating or limiting the liability of a director to the corporation or its members for money damages for any action taken, or any failure to take any action, as a director, except liability for any of the following:
(a) The amount of a financial benefit received by a director to which the director is not entitled.
(b) An intentional infliction of harm on the corporation or its members.
(c) A violation of section 504.835.
(d) An intentional violation of criminal law.
(2) A provision set forth in the articles of incorporation pursuant to this paragraph shall not eliminate or limit the liability of a director for an act or omission that occurs prior to the date when the provision becomes effective. The absence of a provision eliminating or limiting the liability of a director pursuant to this paragraph shall not affect the applicability of section 504.901.
e. A provision permitting or requiring a corporation to indemnify a director for liability, as defined in section 504.851, subsection 5, to a person for any action taken, or any failure to take any action, as a director except liability for any of the following:
(1) Receipt of a financial benefit to which the person is not entitled.
(2) Intentional infliction of harm on the corporation or its members.
(3) A violation of section 504.835.
(4) Intentional violation of criminal law.
f. Any provision that under this chapter is required or permitted to be set forth in the bylaws.
3. An incorporator named in the articles must sign the articles.
4. The articles of incorporation need not set forth any of the corporate powers enumerated in this chapter.
2004 Acts, ch 1049, §18, 192; 2005 Acts, ch 19, §81, 82; 2012 Acts, ch 1023, §157
Referred to in §504.832, §504.852, §504.854, §504.901