2018 Iowa Code
Title XII - BUSINESS ENTITIES
Chapter 504 - REVISED IOWA NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT
Section 504.1022 - Amendment by directors and members.
Amendment by directors and members.
1. Unless this chapter, the articles, bylaws, the members acting pursuant to subsection 2, or the board of directors acting pursuant to subsection 3, require a greater vote or voting by class, or the articles or bylaws provide otherwise, an amendment to a corporation’s bylaws must be approved by all of the following to be adopted:
a. By the board if the corporation is a public benefit or religious corporation and the amendment does not relate to the number of directors, the composition of the board, the term of office of directors, or the method or way in which directors are elected or selected.
b. By the members by two-thirds of the votes cast or a majority of the voting power, whichever is less.
c. In writing by any person or persons whose approval is required by a provision of the articles authorized by section 504.1031.
2. The members may condition the amendment’s adoption on its receipt of a higher percentage of affirmative votes or on any other basis.
3. If the board initiates an amendment to the bylaws or board approval is required by subsection 1 to adopt an amendment to the bylaws, the board may condition the amendment’s adoption on receipt of a higher percentage of affirmative votes or on any other basis.
4. If the board or the members seek to have the amendment approved by the members at a membership meeting, the corporation shall give notice to its members of the proposed membership meeting in writing in accordance with section 504.705. The notice must also state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider the proposed amendment and contain or be accompanied by a copy or summary of the amendment.
5. If the board or the members seek to have the amendment approved by the members by written consent or written ballot, the material soliciting the approval shall contain or be accompanied by a copy or summary of the amendment.
2004 Acts, ch 1049, §121, 192
Referred to in §504.705