2017 Iowa Code
Title VIII - TRANSPORTATION
Chapter 321J - OPERATING WHILE INTOXICATED
Section 321J.1 - Definitions.
Download as PDF
OPERATING WHILE INTOXICATED, §321J.1
As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Alcohol concentration” means the number of grams of alcohol per any of the following:
a. One hundred milliliters of blood.
b. Two hundred ten liters of breath.
c. Sixty-seven milliliters of urine.
2. “Alcoholic beverage” includes alcohol, wine, spirits, beer, or any other beverage which
contains ethyl alcohol and is fit for human consumption.
3. “Arrest” includes but is not limited to taking into custody pursuant to section 232.19.
4. “Controlled substance” means any drug, substance, or compound that is listed in section
124.204 or 124.206, or any metabolite or derivative of the drug, substance, or compound.
5. “Department” means the state department of transportation.
6. “Director” means the director of transportation or the director’s designee.
7. “Driver’s license” means any license or permit issued to a person to operate a motor
vehicle on the highways of this state, including but not limited to a driver’s, commercial
driver’s, temporary restricted, or temporary license and an instruction, chauffeur’s
instruction, commercial learner’s, or temporary permit.
8. “Peace officer” means:
a. A member of the state patrol.
b. A police officer under civil service as provided in chapter 400.
c. A sheriff.
d. A regular deputy sheriff who has had formal police training.
e. Any other law enforcement officer who has satisfactorily completed an approved course
relating to motor vehicle operators under the influence of alcoholic beverages at the Iowa law
enforcement academy or a law enforcement training program approved by the department
of public safety.
9. “Serious injury” means the same as defined in section 702.18.
86 Acts, ch 1220, §1; 90 Acts, ch 1230, §83; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9; 98 Acts, ch 1074, §27; 98
Acts, ch 1138, §10; 2001 Acts, ch 132, §16; 2005 Acts, ch 35, §31; 2010 Acts, ch 1073, §2; 2015
Acts, ch 123, §70
Referred to in §321.208, §321J.2A
Wed Feb 08 03:33:55 2017
Iowa Code 2017, Section 321J.1 (10, 0)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.