2015 Iowa Code
TITLE XV - JUDICIAL BRANCH AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE 5 - SPECIAL ACTIONS
CHAPTER 685 - FALSE CLAIMS
Section 685.2 - Acts subjecting person to treble damages, costs, and civil penalties exceptions.
1. A person who commits any of the following acts is liable to the state for a civil penalty of not less than and not more than the civil penalty allowed under the federal False Claims Act, as codified in 31 U.S.C. §3729 et seq., as may be adjusted in accordance with the inflation adjustment procedures prescribed in the federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act of 1990, Pub.L. No.101-410, for each false or fraudulent claim, plus three times the amount of damages which the state sustains:
a. Knowingly presents, or causes to be presented, a false or fraudulent claim for payment or approval.
b. Knowingly makes, uses, or causes to be made or used, a false record or statement material to a false or fraudulent claim.
c. Conspires to commit a violation of paragraph “a”, “b”, “d”, “e”, “f”, or “g”.
d. Has possession, custody, or control of property or money used, or to be used, by the state and knowingly delivers, or causes to be delivered, less than all of that money or property.
e. Is authorized to make or deliver a document certifying receipt of property used, or to be used, by the state and, intending to defraud the state, makes or delivers the receipt without completely knowing that the information on the receipt is true.
f. Knowingly buys, or receives as a pledge of an obligation or debt, public property from an officer or employee of the state, or a member of the Iowa national guard, who lawfully may not sell or pledge property.
g. Knowingly makes, uses, or causes to be made or used, a false record or statement material to an obligation to pay or transmit money or property to the state, or knowingly conceals or knowingly and improperly avoids or decreases an obligation to pay or transmit money or property to the state.
2. Notwithstanding subsection 1, the court may assess not less than two times the amount of damages which the state sustains because of the act of the person described in subsection 1, if the court finds all of the following:
a. The person committing the violation furnished officials of the state responsible for investigating false claims violations with all information known to such person about the violation within thirty days after the date on which the person first obtained the information.
b. The person fully cooperated with the state investigation of such violation.
c. At the time the person furnished the state with the information about the violation, a criminal prosecution, civil action, or administrative action had not commenced under this chapter with respect to such violation, and the person did not have actual knowledge of the existence of an investigation into such violation.
3. A person violating this section shall also be liable to the state for the costs of a civil action brought to recover any such penalty or damages.
4. Any information furnished pursuant to subsection 2 is deemed confidential information exempt from disclosure pursuant to chapter 22.
5. This section shall not apply to claims, records, or statements made under TitleX relating to state revenue and taxation.
2010 Acts, ch 1031, §339, 2011 Acts, ch 129, §102, 156
Referred to in 685.3, 685.4, 685.5
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.