2015 Iowa Code
TITLE XV - JUDICIAL BRANCH AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE 5 - SPECIAL ACTIONS
CHAPTER 679C - MEDIATION
Section 679C.103 - Scope.
1. Except as otherwise provided for in subsections 2 and 3, this chapter applies to a mediation that occurs under any of the following circumstances:
a. The mediation parties are required to mediate by statute or court or administrative agency rule or referred to mediation by a court, administrative agency, or arbitrator.
b. The mediation parties and the mediator agree to mediate in a record that demonstrates an expectation that mediation communications will be privileged against disclosure.
c. The mediation parties use as a mediator a person who holds oneself out as a mediator or the mediation is provided by a person who holds oneself out as providing mediation.
2. This chapter shall not apply to a mediation relating to or conducted under any of the following circumstances:
a. Relating to the establishment, negotiation, administration, or termination of a collective bargaining relationship.
b. Relating to a dispute that is pending under or is part of the processes established by a collective bargaining agreement, except that this chapter applies to a mediation arising out of a dispute that has been filed with an administrative agency or court.
c. Conducted by a judge who might make a ruling on the case.
d. Conducted at any of the following:
(1) A primary or secondary school if all the parties are students.
(2) A correctional institution for youths if all the parties are residents of that institution.
3. If the mediation parties agree in advance in a signed record, or a record of proceeding reflects agreement by the mediation parties, that all or part of a mediation is not privileged, the privileges under sections 679C.104 through 679C.106 do not apply to the mediation or part agreed upon. However, sections 679C.104 through 679C.106 apply to a mediation communication made by a person that has not received actual notice of the agreement before the communication is made.
2005 Acts, ch 68, §8; 2006 Acts, ch 1010, §157
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.