2015 Iowa Code
TITLE XV - JUDICIAL BRANCH AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE 5 - SPECIAL ACTIONS
CHAPTER 679C - MEDIATION
Section 679C.102 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Mediation” means a process in which a mediator facilitates communication and negotiation between parties to assist them in reaching a voluntary agreement regarding their dispute.
2. “Mediation communication” means a statement, whether oral or in a record, verbal or nonverbal, that occurs during a mediation or is made for purposes of considering, conducting, participating in, initiating, continuing, or reconvening a mediation or retaining a mediator.
3. “Mediation party” means an individual who participates in a mediation and whose agreement is necessary to resolve the dispute.
4. “Mediator” means an individual who conducts a mediation.
5. “Nonparty participant” means a person, other than a mediation party or mediator, that participates in a mediation.
6. “Person” means an individual; corporation; business trust; estate; trust; partnership; limited liability company; association; joint venture; government; governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; public corporation; or any other legal or commercial entity.
7. “Proceeding” means any of the following:
a. A judicial, administrative, arbitral, or other adjudicative process, including related prehearing and posthearing motions, conferences, and discovery.
b. A legislative hearing or similar process.
8. “Record” means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
9. “Sign” means any of the following:
a. To execute or adopt a tangible symbol with the present intent to authenticate a record.
b. To attach or logically associate an electronic symbol, sound, or process to or with a record with the present intent to authenticate a record.
2005 Acts, ch 68, §7
Referred to in 22.7
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.