2014 Iowa Code
TITLE XV - JUDICIAL BRANCH AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE 2 - COURTS
CHAPTER 607A - JURIES
SECTION 607A.3 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Clerk” means clerk of the district court or the clerk’s designee.
2. “Court” means the district court of this state and includes, when the context requires, a judicial officer as defined in section 602.1101.
3. “Juror” means any person selected for service on either the grand or petit jury who attends court when originally instructed to report or is deferred to a future date uncertain, or is on-call and available to report to court when so needed and so requested by the court.
4. “Jury wheel” means a physical device or electronic data processing system for storage of the names and addresses or identifying numbers of prospective jurors.
5. “Master list” means the list of names taken from the source lists for possible jury service.
6. “Motor vehicle operators list” means the official records maintained by the state of the names and addresses of those individuals in the respective counties retaining valid motor vehicle operator’s licenses on or before March 15 of each odd-numbered year.
7. “Panel” means those jurors drawn or assigned for service to a courtroom, judge, or trial.
8. “Person with a disability” means a person who is not physically able to operate a motor vehicle or use public transportation without assistance due to a physical disability.
9. “Pool” means the sum total of prospective jurors reporting for service and not drawn or assigned to a courtroom, judge or trial.
10. “Random selection” means the selection of names in a manner immune to any subjective bias so that no recognizable class of the population from which names are being selected can be purposefully included or excluded.
11. “Source lists” means the voter registration list, the motor vehicle operators list and other comprehensive lists of persons residing in a county as identified pursuant to section 607A.22.
12. “Term of service” means the period of time a juror is requested to serve.
13. “Voter registration list” means the official records maintained by the state of names and addresses of persons registered to vote on or before March 15 of each odd-numbered year.
86 Acts, ch 1108, §11; 87 Acts, ch 85, §1, 2; 90 Acts, ch 1233, §37; 96 Acts, ch 1163, §1; 96 Acts, ch 1219, §31
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.