2014 Iowa Code
TITLE XIV - PROPERTY
SUBTITLE 3 - LIENS
CHAPTER 578A - SELF-SERVICE STORAGE FACILITY LIEN
SECTION 578A.2 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
1. “Last known address” means that address provided by the occupant in the latest rental agreement, or the address provided by the occupant by certified mail in a subsequent written notice of a change of address.
2. “Occupant” means a person, in privity with the owner, entitled to the use to the exclusion of others of the storage space at a self-service storage facility pursuant to privity with the owner.
3. “Owner” means the owner, operator, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility, the agent, or any other person authorized by the owner to manage the facility, or to receive rent from an occupant under a rental agreement.
4. “Personal property” means movable property not affixed to land, and includes, but is not limited to goods, merchandise, and household items.
5. “Possessory lien” means a lien on a personal property that is valid only while the property is in the possession of the person asserting the lien or an agent of the person.
6. “Rental agreement” means an agreement or lease, written or oral, between the owner and occupant, that establishes or modifies the terms, conditions, rules, or any other provisions concerning the use and occupancy of a self-service storage facility.
7. “Self-service storage facility” means real property designed and used for the purpose of renting or leasing individual storage space to occupants who are to have access to the space for the purpose of storing personal property. If an owner issues a warehouse receipt, bill of lading, or other document of title for the personal property stored, the owner and the occupant are subject to chapter 554, article 7 and this chapter does not apply.
84 Acts, ch 1130, §2
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.