2022 Indiana Code
Title 16. Health
Article 18. General Provisions and Definitions
Chapter 2. Definitions
16-18-2-137. "Food Establishment"
Sec. 137. (a) "Food establishment", for purposes of IC 16-42-5, IC 16-42-5.2, and IC 16-42-5.3, means any building, room, basement, vehicle of transportation, cellar, or open or enclosed area occupied or used for handling food.
(b) The term does not include the following:
(1) A dwelling where food is prepared on the premises by the occupants, free of charge, for their consumption or for consumption by their guests.
(2) A gathering of individuals at a venue of an organization that is organized for educational purposes in a nonpublic educational setting or for religious purposes, if:
(A) the individuals separately or jointly provide or prepare, free of charge, and consume their own food or that of others attending the gathering; and
(B) the gathering is for a purpose of the organization.
Gatherings for the purpose of the organization include funerals, wedding receptions, christenings, bar or bat mitzvahs, baptisms, communions, and other events or celebrations sponsored by the organization.
(3) A vehicle used to transport food solely for distribution to the needy, either free of charge or for a nominal donation.
(4) A private gathering of individuals who separately or jointly provide or prepare and consume their own food or that of others attending the gathering, regardless of whether the gathering is held on public or private property.
(5) Except for food prepared by a for-profit entity, a venue of the sale of food prepared for an organization:
(A) that is organized for:
(i) religious purposes; or
(ii) educational purposes in a nonpublic educational setting;
(B) that is exempt from taxation under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code; and
(C) that offers the food for sale to the final consumer at an event held for the benefit of the organization;
unless the food is being provided in a restaurant or a cafeteria with an extensive menu of prepared foods.
(6) Except for food prepared by a for-profit entity, an Indiana nonprofit organization that:
(A) is organized for civic, fraternal, veterans, or charitable purposes;
(B) is exempt from taxation under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code; and
(C) offers food for sale to the final consumer at an event held for the benefit of the organization;
if the events conducted by the organization take place for not more than fifteen (15) days in a calendar year.
(7) The holder of a farm winery permit under IC 7.1-3-12-5 or a brewer's permit under IC 7.1-3-2-7(5) if the requirements of IC 16-42-5-30 are met.
(8) A home based vendor or an individual vendor who sells a food product under IC 16-42-5.3.
[Pre-1993 Recodification Citation: 16-1-20-3.]
As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.266-2001, SEC.4; P.L.100-2007, SEC.1; P.L.3-2008, SEC.105; P.L.1-2009, SEC.115; P.L.86-2009, SEC.1; P.L.144-2015, SEC.5; P.L.49-2022, SEC.1.