2021 Indiana Code
Title 5. State and Local Administration
Article 2. Law Enforcement
Chapter 10.1. Indiana Safe Schools Fund
5-2-10.1-11. School Safety Specialist Training and Certification Program
Sec. 11. (a) The school safety specialist training and certification program is established.
(b) The school safety specialist training program shall provide:
(1) annual training sessions, which may be conducted through distance learning or at regional centers; and
(2) information concerning best practices and available resources;
for school safety specialists and county school safety commissions.
(c) The department of education shall do the following:
(1) Assemble an advisory group of school safety specialists from around the state to make recommendations concerning the curriculum and standards for school safety specialist training.
(2) Develop an appropriate curriculum and the standards for the school safety specialist training and certification program. The department of education may consult with national school safety experts in developing the curriculum and standards. The curriculum developed under this subdivision must include training in:
(A) identifying, preventing, and intervening in bullying;
(B) identifying, preventing, and intervening in criminal organization activity; and
(C) identifying, preventing, and intervening in actions by a person who is present on school property with the intent to harm another person.
(3) Administer the school safety specialist training program and notify the institute of candidates for certification who have successfully completed the training program.
(d) The institute shall do the following:
(1) Establish a school safety specialist certificate.
(2) Review the qualifications of each candidate for certification named by the department of education.
(3) Present a certificate to each school safety specialist that the institute determines to be eligible for certification.
As added by P.L.273-1999, SEC.226. Amended by P.L.106-2005, SEC.2; P.L.190-2013, SEC.2; P.L.25-2016, SEC.2; P.L.211-2018(ss), SEC.1.