2021 Indiana Code
Title 20. Education
Article 19. State Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education
Chapter 3. Department of Education
20-19-3-14. Division of School Building Physical Security and Safety; Establishment; Duties
Sec. 14. (a) As used in this section, "division" refers to the division of school building physical security and safety established by subsection (c).
(b) As used in this section, "physical security" refers to security measures that are designed to deny unauthorized access to a building or facility, including equipment and resources, and to protect individuals and property from damage or harm.
(c) The division of school building physical security and safety is established within the department.
(d) The division shall:
(1) establish and maintain guidelines for using professional architectural and engineering services to integrate physical security improvements and safety practices in the construction, renovation, repair, or alteration of a school facility;
(2) carry out the department's responsibilities with regards to the school safety specialist training and certification program established in IC 5-2-10.1-11;
(3) establish and maintain guidelines for establishing emergency response protocols in cooperation with other state agencies;
(4) carry out the department's responsibilities under IC 5-2-10.1-12;
(5) coordinate the department's response and recovery assistance to a school in the event of a manmade or natural disaster;
(6) provide information and guidance to assist school corporations or schools to establish mutual aid disaster assistance agreements with other schools or school corporations; and
(7) study and collect information to integrate lessons learned from previous school disasters throughout the country into the curriculum of the school safety specialist training and certification program established in IC 5-2-10.1-11 and guidelines established by the division under this subsection.
(e) The division may, upon request by a school corporation:
(1) review a school safety plan;
(2) provide an onsite safety review for a school; and
(3) provide guidance or assistance relating to school safety matters to the school corporation.
(f) The division shall maintain a secure Internet web site to provide school officials and public safety officials access to information that is considered classified under IC 5-14-3-4(b)(1), IC 5-14-3-4(b)(18), and IC 5-14-3-4(b)(19) or other sensitive information that may assist school officials and public safety officials in improving school safety or responding to a manmade or natural disaster.
(g) The division shall maintain a public Internet web site that contains:
(1) the guidelines established by the division under subsection (d);
(2) best practices pertaining to school safety; and
(3) any other information the division determines may be necessary to carry out the division's duties or responsibilities under this section.
As added by P.L.36-2014, SEC.1.