2020 Indiana Code
Title 9. Motor Vehicles
Article 24. Drivers Licenses
Chapter 1. Individuals Required to Obtain a License or Permit
9-24-1-7. Exempt Operators
Sec. 7. (a) Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to the following individuals:
(1) An individual in the service of the armed forces of the United States while operating an official motor vehicle in that service.
(2) An individual who is at least sixteen (16) years and one hundred eighty (180) days of age, while operating:
(A) road construction or maintenance machinery;
(B) a ditch digging apparatus;
(C) a well drilling apparatus; or
(D) a concrete mixer;
that is being temporarily drawn, moved, or propelled on a highway.
(3) A nonresident who:
(i) at least sixteen (16) years and one hundred eighty (180) days of age; or
(ii) employed in Indiana;
(B) has in the nonresident's immediate possession a valid driver's license that was issued to the nonresident in the nonresident's home state or country; and
(C) is lawfully admitted into the United States;
while operating on a highway the type of motor vehicle for which the driver's license was issued, subject to the restrictions imposed by the home state or country of the individual's residence.
(4) A new Indiana resident who:
(A) possesses a valid driver's license issued by the state or country of the individual's former residence; and
(B) is lawfully admitted in the United States;
for a period of sixty (60) days after becoming an Indiana resident, and subject to the restrictions imposed by the state or country of the individual's former residence while operating upon a highway the type of motor vehicle for which the driver's license was issued.
(5) An individual while operating a farm wagon that is being temporarily drawn, moved, or propelled on a public highway. However, to operate the farm wagon on a highway, other than to temporarily draw, move, or propel it, the individual must be at least fifteen (15) years of age.
(6) An individual who does not hold a driver's license or permit and is authorized to operate a golf cart or an off-road vehicle on the highways of a county, city, or town in accordance with an ordinance adopted under IC 9-21-1-3(a)(14) or IC 9-21-1-3.3(a).
(b) An ordinance adopted under IC 9-21-1-3(a)(14) or IC 9-21-1-3.3(a) must require that an individual who operates a golf cart or off-road vehicle in the city, county, or town:
(1) hold a driver's license; or
(2) be at least sixteen (16) years and one hundred eighty (180) days of age and hold:
(A) an identification card issued under IC 9-24-16; or
(B) a photo exempt identification card issued under IC 9-24-16.5.
[Pre-1991 Recodification Citation: 9-1-4-27.]
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.128-1993, SEC.1; P.L.210-2005, SEC.38; P.L.150-2009, SEC.18; P.L.87-2010, SEC.29; P.L.60-2012, SEC.3; P.L.125-2012, SEC.165; P.L.85-2013, SEC.23; P.L.259-2013, SEC.21; P.L.198-2016, SEC.422; P.L.256-2017, SEC.164.