2020 Indiana Code
Title 9. Motor Vehicles
Article 17. Certificates of Title
Chapter 1. Application
Note: This version of section effective until 1-1-2021. See also following version of this section, effective 1-1-2021.
Sec. 1. (a) This article does not apply to the following:
(1) A vehicle that is not required to be registered under IC 9-18-2 (before its expiration) or IC 9-18.1.
(2) Special machinery.
(3) A motor vehicle that was designed to have a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour and that was built, constructed, modified, or assembled by a person other than the manufacturer.
(4) Motor driven cycles.
(5) An off-road vehicle that was purchased or otherwise acquired before January 1, 2010.
(7) A watercraft that is not required to be registered under IC 9-31-3.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may apply for:
(1) a certificate of title under IC 9-17-2-2; or
(2) a special identification number under IC 9-17-4;
for a vehicle listed in subsection (a).
(c) If the bureau issues a certificate of title under subsection (b)(1), the vehicle remains subject to this article until the titleholder surrenders the title to the bureau.
[Pre-1991 Recodification Citation: 9-8-12-2 part; Pre-2016 Revision Citations: subsection (a) formerly 9-17-2-1.5; 9-31-2-2(a).]
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.5. Amended by P.L.21-2003, SEC.4; P.L.150-2009, SEC.5; P.L.182-2009(ss), SEC.284; P.L.125-2012, SEC.70; P.L.259-2013, SEC.10; P.L.262-2013, SEC.19; P.L.221-2014, SEC.17; P.L.149-2015, SEC.31; P.L.180-2015, SEC.6; P.L.198-2016, SEC.199.