2019 Indiana Code
Title 9. Motor Vehicles
Article 14. Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Chapter 13. Privacy and Disclosure of Bureau Records
9-14-13-7. Disclosure of personal information other than highly restricted personal information for certain purposes
Sec. 7. The bureau may disclose certain personal information that is not highly restricted personal information if the person requesting the information provides proof of identity and represents that the use of the personal information will be strictly limited to at least one (1) of the following:
(1) For use by a government agency, including a court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or a person acting on behalf of a government agency in carrying out its functions.
(2) For use in connection with matters concerning:
(A) motor vehicle or driver safety and theft;
(B) motor vehicle emissions;
(C) motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories;
(D) performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts, and dealers;
(E) motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research;
(F) the removal of nonowner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers; and
(G) motor fuel theft under IC 24-4.6-5.
(3) For use in the normal course of business by a business or its agents, employees, or contractors, but only:
(A) to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by an individual to the business or its agents, employees, or contractors; and
(B) if information submitted to a business is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information only for purposes of preventing fraud by pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against, the individual.
(4) For use in connection with a civil, a criminal, an administrative, or an arbitration proceeding in a court or government agency or before a self-regulatory body, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or under an order of a court.
(5) For use in research activities, and for use in producing statistical reports, as long as the personal information is not published, redisclosed, or used to contact the individuals who are the subject of the personal information.
(6) For use by an insurer, an insurance support organization, or a self-insured entity, or the agents, employees, or contractors of an insurer, an insurance support organization, or a self-insured entity in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating, or underwriting.
(7) For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
(8) For use by a licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for a purpose allowed under this section.
(9) For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's license that is required under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (49 U.S.C. 31131 et seq.).
(10) For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
(11) For any use in response to requests for individual motor vehicle records when the bureau has obtained the written consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains.
(12) For bulk distribution for surveys, marketing, or solicitations when the bureau has obtained the written consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains.
(13) For use by any person, when the person demonstrates, in a form and manner prescribed by the bureau, that written consent has been obtained from the individual who is the subject of the information.
(14) For any other use specifically authorized by law that is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or public safety.
However, this section does not affect the use of anatomical gift information on a person's driver's license or identification document issued by the bureau, nor does this section affect the administration of anatomical gift initiatives in Indiana.
[Pre-2016 Revision Citation: 9-14-3.5-10.]
As added by P.L.198-2016, SEC.193.