2019 Indiana Code
Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law
Article 17. Family Law: Custody and Visitation Rights
Chapter 2. Actions for Child Custody and Modification of Child Custody Orders
31-17-2-21.7. Security, bond, or guarantee; determinations
Sec. 21.7. (a) The court shall consider requiring security, a bond, or another guarantee under section 21.5 of this chapter if the court makes a finding under subdivision (1), (2), (4), or (7) by clear and convincing evidence. If the court makes a finding under subdivision (1), (2), (4), or (7), the court shall also consider subdivisions (3), (5), (6), (8), and (9) in determining the amount of security, bond, or other guarantee. In making a determination under this section, the court shall consider the following:
(1) Whether a party has previously taken a child out of Indiana or another state in violation of a custody, parenting time, or visitation order.
(2) Whether a party has previously threatened to take a child out of Indiana or another state in violation of a custody, parenting time, or visitation order.
(3) Whether a party has strong ties to Indiana.
(4) Whether a party:
(A) is a citizen of another country;
(B) has strong emotional or cultural ties to the other country; and
(C) has indicated or threatened to take a child out of Indiana to the other country.
(5) Whether a party has friends or family living outside Indiana.
(6) Whether a party does not have a financial reason to stay in Indiana, such as whether the party is unemployed, able to work anywhere, or is financially independent.
(7) Whether a party has engaged in planning that would facilitate removal from Indiana, such as quitting a job, selling the party's primary residence, terminating a lease, closing an account, liquidating other assets, hiding or destroying documents, applying for a passport, applying for a birth certificate, or applying for school or medical records.
(8) Whether a party has a history of marital instability, a lack of parental cooperation, domestic violence, or child abuse.
(9) Whether a party has a criminal record.
After considering evidence, the court shall issue a written determination of security, bond, or other written guarantee supported by findings of fact and conclusions of law.
(b) If a motion for change of judge or change of venue is filed, the court may, before a determination of change of judge or change of venue, consider security, bond, or other guarantee under this chapter.
As added by P.L.171-2001, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.68-2005, SEC.35.