2019 Indiana Code
Title 25. Professions and Occupations
Article 15. Embalmers and Funeral Directors
Chapter 4. Minimum Qualifications; Reciprocity
25-15-4-3. Funeral director licenses
Sec. 3. (a) An applicant must qualify under subsection (b) to be licensed as a funeral director. However, subject to IC 25-15-8-10, an individual qualified under subsection (c) or (d) shall be treated as a qualified individual.
(b) To qualify for a funeral director license, an applicant must:
(1) be an individual who is at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) submit proof that the applicant has not been convicted of:
(A) an act that would constitute a ground for disciplinary sanction under IC 25-1-11; or
(B) a crime that has a direct bearing on the applicant's ability to practice competently;
(3) have a diploma from an accredited high school;
(4) have successfully completed either:
(A) a course of education consisting of:
(i) thirty (30) semester hours or forty-five (45) quarter hours of college level work in a regionally accredited postsecondary educational institution that includes course work in the subjects of English, humanities, science, business, and other electives that apply toward a baccalaureate degree from the postsecondary educational institution; and
(ii) four (4) academic quarters or the equivalent in an accredited college, school, or department of mortuary science approved by the board; or
(B) a twenty-one (21) month program in an accredited college, school, or department of mortuary science approved by the board;
(5) pass the examination required by the board for a funeral director license;
(6) under the direct supervision of a funeral director licensee, have at least one (1) year of continuous experience in the practice of funeral service; and
(7) pay the licensing fee set by the board for a funeral director licensee.
(c) An individual may be licensed as a funeral director if, on June 30, 1985, the individual had a funeral director license and an embalmer license issued by the state board of embalmers and funeral directors.
(d) An individual may be a funeral director if, on June 30, 1985, the individual had a funeral director license issued by the state board of embalmers and funeral directors.
As added by P.L.246-1985, SEC.3. Amended by P.L.214-1993, SEC.44; P.L.2-2007, SEC.322.