2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 1.1. PROPERTY TAXES
CHAPTER 4. Procedures for Real Property Assessment
6-1.1-4-4.2. County reassessment plan; approval by department of local government finance
Sec. 4.2. (a) The county assessor of each county shall, before July 1, 2013, and before May 1 of every fourth year thereafter, prepare and submit to the department of local government finance a reassessment plan for the county. The following apply to a reassessment plan prepared and submitted under this section:
(1) The reassessment plan is subject to approval by the department of local government finance. The department of local government finance shall complete its review and approval of the reassessment plan before:
(A) March 1, 2015; and
(B) January 1 of each subsequent year that follows a year in which the reassessment plan is submitted by the county.
(2) The department of local government finance shall determine the classes of real property to be used for purposes of this section.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (b), the reassessment plan must divide all parcels of real property in the county into four (4) different groups of parcels. Each group of parcels must contain approximately twenty-five percent (25%) of the parcels within each class of real property in the county.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (b), all real property in each group of parcels shall be reassessed under the county's reassessment plan once during each four (4) year cycle.
(5) The reassessment of a group of parcels in a particular class of real property shall begin on May 1 of a year.
(6) The reassessment of parcels:
(A) must include a physical inspection of each parcel of real property in the group of parcels that is being reassessed; and
(B) shall be completed on or before January 1 of the year after the year in which the reassessment of the group of parcels begins.
(7) For real property included in a group of parcels that is reassessed, the reassessment is the basis for taxes payable in the year following the year in which the reassessment is to be completed.
(8) The reassessment plan must specify the dates by which the assessor must submit land values under section 13.6 of this chapter to the county property tax assessment board of appeals.
(9) Subject to review and approval by the department of local government finance, the county assessor may modify the reassessment plan.
(b) A county may submit a reassessment plan that provides for reassessing more than twenty-five percent (25%) of all parcels of real property in the county in a particular year. A plan may provide that all parcels are to be reassessed in one (1) year. However, a plan must cover a four (4) year period. All real property in each group of parcels shall be reassessed under the county's reassessment plan once during each reassessment cycle.
(c) The reassessment of the first group of parcels under a county's reassessment plan shall begin on July 1, 2014, and shall be completed on or before January 1, 2015.
(d) The department of local government finance may adopt rules to govern the reassessment of property under county reassessment plans.
As added by P.L.112-2012, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.111-2014, SEC.8.