2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 1.1. PROPERTY TAXES
CHAPTER 24. Sale of Real Property When Taxes or Special Assessments Become Delinquent
6-1.1-24-1.2. Removal of property from delinquency list; arrangement for payment of delinquent taxes
Sec. 1.2. (a) Except as provided in subsection (c), a tract or an item of real property may not be removed from the list certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter before the tax sale unless all:
(1) delinquent taxes and special assessments due before the date the list on which the property appears was certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter; and
(2) penalties due on the delinquency, interest, and costs directly attributable to the tax sale;
have been paid in full.
(b) A county treasurer may accept partial payments of delinquent property taxes, assessments, penalties, interest, or costs under subsection (a) after the list of real property is certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter. However, a partial payment does not remove a tract or an item from the list certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter unless the taxpayer complies with subsection (a) or (c) before the date of the tax sale.
(c) A county auditor shall remove a tract or an item of real property from the list certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter before the tax sale if the county treasurer and the taxpayer agree to a mutually satisfactory arrangement for the payment of the delinquent taxes.
(d) The county auditor shall remove the tract or item from the list certified under section 1 or 1.5 of this chapter if:
(1) the arrangement described in subsection (c):
(A) is in writing;
(B) is signed by the taxpayer; and
(C) requires the taxpayer to pay the delinquent taxes in full not later than the last business day before July 1 of the year after the date the agreement is signed; and
(2) the county treasurer has provided a copy of the written agreement to the county auditor.
(e) If the taxpayer fails to make a payment under the arrangement described in subsection (c):
(1) the arrangement is void; and
(2) the county auditor shall immediately place the tract or item of real property on the list of real property eligible for sale at a tax sale.
(f) If a taxpayer fails to make a payment under an arrangement entered into under subsection (c), the county treasurer and the taxpayer may enter into a subsequent arrangement and avoid the penalties under subsection (e).
As added by P.L.50-1990, SEC.3. Amended by P.L.39-1994, SEC.2; P.L.30-1994, SEC.5; P.L.124-1998, SEC.1; P.L.1-1999, SEC.9; P.L.170-2002, SEC.22; P.L.113-2010, SEC.40; P.L.56-2012, SEC.1; P.L.48-2013, SEC.1; P.L.166-2014, SEC.8; P.L.247-2015, SEC.6.