2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 1.1. PROPERTY TAXES
CHAPTER 12. Assessed Value Deductions and Deduction Procedures
6-1.1-12-10.1. Persons over 65 or surviving spouse; filing claim
Sec. 10.1. (a) Except as provided in section 17.8 of this chapter and subject to section 45 of this chapter, an individual who desires to claim the deduction provided by section 9 of this chapter must file a sworn statement, on forms prescribed by the department of local government finance, with the auditor of the county in which the real property, mobile home, or manufactured home is located. With respect to real property, the statement must be completed and dated in the calendar year for which the individual wishes to obtain the deduction and filed with the county auditor on or before January 5 of the immediately succeeding calendar year. With respect to a mobile home that is not assessed as real property or a manufactured home that is not assessed as real property, the statement must be filed during the twelve (12) months before March 31 of each year for which the individual wishes to obtain the deduction. The statement may be filed in person or by mail. If mailed, the mailing must be postmarked on or before the last day for filing.
(b) The statement referred to in subsection (a) shall be in affidavit form or require verification under penalties of perjury. The statement must be filed in duplicate if the applicant owns, or is buying under a contract, real property, a mobile home, or a manufactured home subject to assessment in more than one (1) county or in more than one (1) taxing district in the same county. The statement shall contain:
(1) the source and exact amount of gross income received by the individual and the individual's spouse during the preceding calendar year;
(2) the description and assessed value of the real property, mobile home, or manufactured home;
(3) the individual's full name and complete residence address;
(4) the record number and page where the contract or memorandum of the contract is recorded if the individual is buying the real property, mobile home, or manufactured home on contract; and
(5) any additional information which the department of local government finance may require.
(c) In order to substantiate the deduction statement, the applicant shall submit for inspection by the county auditor a copy of the applicant's and a copy of the applicant's spouse's income tax returns for the preceding calendar year. If either was not required to file an income tax return, the applicant shall subscribe to that fact in the deduction statement.
As added by Acts 1980, P.L.40, SEC.1. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.44, SEC.2; Acts 1982, P.L.45, SEC.2; P.L.55-1988, SEC.3; P.L.291-2001, SEC.132; P.L.90-2002, SEC.107; P.L.154-2006, SEC.13; P.L.183-2007, SEC.2; P.L.144-2008, SEC.14; P.L.183-2014, SEC.7.