2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 1.1. PROPERTY TAXES
CHAPTER 12.1. Deduction for Rehabilitation or Redevelopment of Real Property in Economic Revitalization Areas
6-1.1-12.1-15. Correction of deduction errors
Sec. 15. (a) If:
(1) as the result of an error by a taxpayer the county auditor applies a deduction under this chapter for a particular assessment date in an amount that is less than the amount to which the taxpayer is entitled under this chapter; and
(2) the taxpayer is entitled to a correction of the error under this article;
the county auditor shall apply the correction of the error as provided in this section.
(b) With respect to a deduction based on an increase in the assessed value of real property, the county auditor shall apply a deduction from the assessed value of the real property:
(1) except as provided in subsection (d), for the assessment date that next succeeds the last assessment date for which a deduction under this chapter would apply without regard to this section based on that increase; and
(2) except as provided in subsection (c), in the amount of the lesser of:
(A) the remainder of:
(i) the amount of the deduction to which the taxpayer is entitled under this chapter for the particular assessment date under subsection (a); minus
(ii) the amount of the deduction that was applied for that assessment date; or
(B) the assessed value of the real property for the assessment date for which the correction applies.
(c) If the county auditor applies an incorrect deduction as described in subsection (a) for more than one (1) assessment date, the county auditor shall:
(1) combine the amounts of deduction corrections determined under subsection (b)(2)(A) for all of the assessment dates for which incorrect deductions were applied; and
(2) except as provided in subsection (d), apply that combined amount as a deduction for the assessment date referred to in subsection (b)(1) in the manner described in subsection (b)(2).
(1) the remainder determined under subsection (b)(2)(A); or
(2) the combined amount of deduction corrections under subsection (c)(1);
exceeds the assessed value referred to in subsection (b)(2)(B), the county auditor shall carry the excess over as assessed value deductions for the immediately succeeding assessment date or dates.
(e) With respect to a deduction based on an increase in the assessed value of personal property, the county auditor shall apply deduction corrections in the manner provided in subsections (a) through (d), except that the assessed value and deduction determinations apply to the taxpayer's personal property return.
(f) A taxpayer is not required to file an application for a deduction under this section.
As added by P.L.219-2007, SEC.33.