2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 25. Professions and Occupations
ARTICLE 30. PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR FIRMS, SECURITY GUARDS, AND POLYGRAPH EXAMINERS
CHAPTER 1. Private Investigator Firm Licensing
Sec. 2. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Person" means an individual, a firm, a company, an association, an organization, a partnership, or a corporation.
(2) "Licensee" means a person licensed under this chapter.
(3) "Private investigator firm" means the business of:
(A) making, for hire or reward, investigation or investigations for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to:
(i) a crime against the state or wrongs done or threatened;
(ii) the habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, association, transactions, reputation, or character of a person;
(iii) credibility of witnesses or other persons;
(iv) the location or recovery of lost, abandoned, unclaimed, or stolen property;
(v) the causes, origin, or responsibility for fires or accidents or injuries to real or personal property; or
(vi) the truth or falsity of a statement or representation;
(B) securing, for hire or reward, evidence to be used for authorized investigation committees or boards of award or arbitration or in the trial of civil or criminal cases; or
(C) providing, for hire or reward, undercover investigators to detect and prevent fraud and theft in the workplace or elsewhere.
(4) "Board" refers to the private investigator and security guard licensing board established under section 5.2 of this chapter.
(5) "Licensing agency" refers to the Indiana professional licensing agency established under IC 25-1-5-3.
(6) "Business entity" means a firm, a company, an association, an organization, a partnership, or a corporation.
Formerly: Acts 1961, c.163, s.2; Acts 1965, c.162, s.1; Acts 1967, c.171, s.1. As amended by Acts 1982, P.L.154, SEC.88; P.L.261-1987, SEC.1; P.L.234-1989, SEC.5; P.L.214-1993, SEC.66; P.L.236-1995, SEC.46; P.L.1-2006, SEC.474; P.L.185-2007, SEC.9; P.L.3-2008, SEC.196.