2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 20. Education
ARTICLE 23. ORGANIZATION OF SCHOOL CORPORATIONS
CHAPTER 7. Consolidation of County School Corporations and Metropolitan School Districts
20-23-7-4. Metropolitan school district; division into board member districts; redistricting; recertification of boundaries
Sec. 4. (a) At the first meeting of the board of commissioners of the county after the creation of the metropolitan school district as provided in this chapter, the board of commissioners shall divide the district into three (3) governing body districts approximately equal in population. During the first year after a year in which a federal decennial census is conducted, the board of commissioners shall:
(1) readjust the boundaries of the districts to equalize the districts by population; or
(2) recertify that the boundaries of the districts as drawn comply with this subsection.
(b) Instead of the division provided under subsection (a), any resolution or petition provided in section 2(a) or 2(b) of this chapter may:
(1) provide that the metropolitan school district to be created shall be divided into two (2) or more governing body districts;
(2) describe the governing body member districts;
(3) provide that one (1) or more members of the governing body must reside within each of the governing body member districts;
(4) set out the number of members to serve from each designated district;
(5) provide that the governing body member districts need not be equal in size or population, and that one (1) board member district may include all the area in the metropolitan school district;
(6) specify that the number of governing body members to be resident in each district need not be an equal number; and
(7) eliminate all requirements that there be governing body member districts.
(c) If the resolution or petition:
(1) does not provide for governing body member districts and designate the number of governing body members to be resident in each district; or
(2) provides for the elimination of governing body member districts;
subsection (a) controls. If either subsection (a) or (b) applies, candidates shall be voted upon by all the registered voters of the metropolitan school district voting at any governing body member election.
(d) The limitations set forth in this section are part of the plan, but do not have to be specifically set forth in the plan. The plan must be construed, if possible, to comply with this chapter. If a provision of the plan or an application of the plan violates this chapter, the invalidity does not affect the other provisions or applications of the plan that can be given effect without the invalid provision or application. The provisions of the plan are severable.
[Pre-2005 Elementary and Secondary Education Recodification Citation: 20-4-8-14.]
As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.271-2013, SEC.38.