2017 Indiana Code
TITLE 9. Motor Vehicles
ARTICLE 20. SIZE AND WEIGHT REGULATION
CHAPTER 6. Special and Emergency Permits
9-20-6-2. Transportation of heavy vehicles or loads not conforming to this article; special permit; conditions; limitations
Sec. 2. (a) The Indiana department of transportation or local authority that:
(1) has jurisdiction over a highway or street; and
(2) is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the highway or street;
may, upon proper application in writing and upon good cause shown, grant a permit for transporting heavy vehicles and loads or other objects not conforming to this article, including a vehicle transporting an ocean going container, if the department or authority finds that other traffic will not be seriously affected and the highway or bridge will not be seriously damaged.
(b) The permit granted under subsection (a) must authorize the operation of a tractor-semitrailer and load that:
(1) exceeds the maximum length limitation under this chapter; and
(2) is subject to regulation under this chapter;
from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.
(c) A permit may be issued under this section for the following:
(1) A single trip.
(2) A definite time not exceeding thirty (30) days.
(3) A ninety (90) day period.
(4) A one (1) year period.
(d) This subsection applies to the transportation of ocean going containers that:
(1) have been sealed at the place of origin and have not been opened except by an agent of the federal government that may inspect the contents; and
(2) are being transported to or from a distribution facility.
The total gross weight, with load of a vehicle or combination of vehicles transporting an ocean going container may not exceed ninety-five thousand (95,000) pounds. A permit issued under this section must be issued on an annual basis. A permit issued under this subsection may not impose a limit on the number of movements generated by the applicant or operator of a vehicle granted a permit under this subsection.
[Pre-1991 Recodification Citation: 9-8-1-16(a); (b).]
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.8. Amended by P.L.119-1995, SEC.3; P.L.36-2006, SEC.1; P.L.134-2007, SEC.3; P.L.3-2008, SEC.77; P.L.182-2009(ss), SEC.290.