2017 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 3. OTHER STATE INCOME TAXES
CHAPTER 3. Credits
6-3-3-5. Credit; charitable contribution; postsecondary educational institutions; educational foundations
Sec. 5. (a) At the election of the taxpayer, there shall be allowed, as a credit against the adjusted gross income tax imposed by IC 6-3-1 through IC 6-3-7 for the taxable year, an amount (subject to the applicable limitations provided by this section) equal to fifty percent (50%) of the aggregate amount of charitable contributions made by such taxpayer during such year to postsecondary educational institutions located within Indiana (including any of its associated colleges in Indiana) or to any corporation or foundation organized and operated solely for the benefit of any postsecondary educational institution.
(b) In the case of a taxpayer other than a corporation, the amount allowable as a credit under this section for any taxable year shall not exceed one hundred dollars ($100) in the case of a single return or two hundred dollars ($200) in the case of a joint return.
(c) In the case of a corporation, the amount allowable as a credit under this section for any taxable year shall not exceed:
(1) ten percent (10%) of such corporation's total adjusted gross income tax under IC 6-3-1 through IC 6-3-7 for such year (as determined without regard to any credits against that tax); or
(2) one thousand dollars ($1,000);
whichever is less.
(d) A charitable contribution in Indiana qualifies for a credit under this section only if the charitable contribution is made to a postsecondary educational institution or a corporation or foundation organized for the benefit of a postsecondary educational institution that:
(1) normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly organized body of students in attendance at the place where its educational activities are carried on;
(2) regularly offers education at a level above the twelfth grade;
(3) regularly awards either associate, bachelors, masters, or doctoral degrees, or any combination thereof; and
(4) is duly accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the Indiana state board of education, or the American Association of Theological Schools.
(e) The credit allowed by this section shall not exceed the amount of the adjusted gross income tax imposed by IC 6-3-1 through IC 6-3-7 for the taxable year, reduced by the sum of all credits (as determined without regard to this section) allowed by IC 6-3-1 through IC 6-3-7.
Formerly: Acts 1963(ss), c.32, s.305; Acts 1967, c.201, s.1; Acts 1969, c.326, s.4; Acts 1971, P.L.64, SEC.8. As amended by Acts 1978, P.L.45, SEC.1; Acts 1981, P.L.77, SEC.10; P.L.20-1984, SEC.4; P.L.66-1988, SEC.1; P.L.5-1995, SEC.6; P.L.1-2003, SEC.33; P.L.269-2003, SEC.6; P.L.2-2007, SEC.121.