2011 Indiana Code
TITLE 3. ELECTIONS
ARTICLE 6. POLITICAL PARTY AND ELECTION OFFICERS
CHAPTER 3.7. THE SECRETARY OF STATE
Chapter 3.7. The Secretary of State
Secretary of state as state's chief election official; exception
Sec. 1. Except as provided by IC 3-7-11-1, the secretary of state is the state's chief election official.
As added by P.L.209-2003, SEC.7.
Election duties of secretary of state; consent of co-directors required
Sec. 2. In addition to performing the duties related to elections specified in this title, the secretary of state, with the consent of the co-directors of the election division shall do the following:
(1) Work with the federal Election Assistance Commission to encourage students enrolled at postsecondary educational institutions (including community colleges) to assist state and local governments in the administration of elections by serving as nonpartisan poll workers or assistants.
(2) Consult with the federal Election Assistance Commission in the development of materials, seminars, and advertising targeted at students to implement the Help America Vote College Program conducted by the Election Assistance Commission under 42 U.S.C. 15521.
(3) Consult with the Help America Vote Foundation established under 36 U.S.C. 1526 in developing programs to encourage secondary school students (including students educated in the home) to participate in the election process in a nonpartisan manner as poll workers or assistants to local election officials in precinct polling places.
(4) Consult and coordinate with (and provide administrative support to) the co-directors of the election division in the development and implementation of the state plan under HAVA (42 U.S.C. 15401 through 15406).
(5) Perform all duties required to be performed by the state or the chief state election official under HAVA.
As added by P.L.209-2003, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.2-2007, SEC.7.
Programs to encourage students to assist election administration
Sec. 3. The secretary of state may develop programs to encourage Indiana secondary school students and students in postsecondary educational institutions in Indiana to assist state and local governments in the administration of elections.
As added by P.L.209-2003, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.2-2007, SEC.8.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Indiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.