2021 Idaho Code
Title 36 - FISH AND GAME
Chapter 4 - LICENSES TO HUNT, FISH AND TRAP
Section 36-418 - PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE FUND.
36-418. PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE FUND. (1) It is the intent of the legislature that public shooting ranges shall be established and preserved throughout the state for the training and enjoyment of the citizens.
(2) The state public shooting range fund is hereby established. The commission shall administer the fund and shall annually prepare a report to the legislature detailing the revenues and expenditures of the fund.
(3) The fund shall consist of:
(a) Fines and forfeitures remitted for violations of fish and game laws pursuant to section 19-4705(1)(b), Idaho Code;
(b) Revenues, unless otherwise prohibited by law, derived from the sale or lease of real property owned by the commission and acquired for or used for the purpose of providing public shooting ranges and moneys received from the sale of goods and services from commission-owned shooting ranges;
(c) Gifts, grants, or other contributions; and
(d) Such other funds as the legislature shall appropriate.
(4) Moneys in the fund are continuously appropriated and shall be used for purposes enumerated in this chapter. Interest earned on moneys in the fund shall be credited to the fund.
(5) The commission shall determine the amount available to distribute under this section, the distributions, and the recipients. Distributions from the fund may be made to shooting ranges open to the public and operated by government or nonprofit entities for the following purposes:
(a) Shooting range engineering and studies;
(b) Noise abatement;
(c) Safety enhancement;
(d) Shooting range design;
(e) New shooting range sites and construction;
(f) Shooting range relocation; and
(g) Other projects that are necessary to enhance or preserve a shooting range under good practices and management.
(6) The director shall appoint a committee to act in an advisory capacity to the department on matters relating to evaluation of applications for grants to be awarded from the public shooting range fund according to the purposes enumerated in this section. The committee shall include representation by active recreational shooters.
[36-418, added 2020, ch. 85, sec. 4, p. 229; am. 2021, ch. 249, sec. 2, p. 777.]