2021 Idaho Code
Title 34 - ELECTIONS
Chapter 1 - DEFINITIONS
Section 34-106 - LIMITATION UPON ELECTIONS.
34-106. LIMITATION UPON ELECTIONS. On and after January 1, 2011, notwithstanding any other provisions of the law to the contrary, there shall be no more than two (2) elections conducted in any county in any calendar year, except as provided in this section, and except that elections to fill vacancies in the United States house of representatives shall be held as provided in the governor’s proclamation.
(1) The dates on which elections may be conducted are:
(a) The third Tuesday in May of each year; and
(b) The Tuesday following the first Monday in November of each year.
(c) In addition to the elections specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection and subsection (7) of this section, an emergency election may be called upon motion of the governing board of a political subdivision. An emergency exists when there is a great public calamity, such as an extraordinary fire, flood, storm, epidemic, or other disaster, or if it is necessary to do emergency work to prepare for a national or local defense, or it is necessary to do emergency work to safeguard life, health or property.
(d) In addition to the elections specified elsewhere in this section, a presidential primary shall be held on the second Tuesday in March in each presidential election year. Presidential primaries shall be held separately from other primary elections, which shall be held on the third Tuesday in May even in presidential election years.
(2) Candidates for office elected in May shall take office on the date specified in the certificate of election but not more than sixty (60) days following the election.
(3) Candidates for office elected in November shall take office as provided in the constitution, or on January 1, next succeeding the November election.
(4) The governing board of each political subdivision subject to the provisions of this section, which, prior to January 1, 2011, conducted an election for members of that governing board on a date other than a date permitted in subsection (1) of this section, shall establish as the election date for that political subdivision the date authorized in subsection (1) of this section which falls nearest the date on which elections were previously conducted, unless another date is established by law.
(5) The secretary of state is authorized to provide such assistance as necessary, and to prescribe any needed rules or interpretations for the conduct of election authorized under the provisions of this section.
(6) Water districts governed by chapter 6, title 42, Idaho Code, are exempt from the provisions of this section.
(7) Community colleges governed by chapter 21, title 33, Idaho Code, and school districts are subject to the limitations specified in subsection (1) of this section, except that school districts may also hold an election on the second Tuesday in March of each year and on the last Tuesday in August of each year on bonded indebtedness and property tax levy questions.
(8) A city initiative or referendum election shall be held on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November of odd-numbered years. A county initiative or referendum election or a bond, levy and any other ballot question elections conducted by any political subdivision shall be held on the nearest date authorized in subsection (1) of this section which falls more than sixty (60) days after the clerk of the political subdivision orders that such election shall be held in May or November of even-numbered years or more than fifty (50) days after the order for all other elections, unless otherwise provided by law. Ballot language for any question to be placed on the ballot shall be submitted to the county clerk at least sixty (60) days before an election held in May or November of even-numbered years and at least fifty (50) days before all other elections.
(9) Recall elections may be held on any of the four (4) dates authorized in subsections (1) and (7) of this section that fall more than forty-five (45) days after the clerk of the political subdivision orders that such election shall be held.
(10) Irrigation districts governed by title 43, Idaho Code, are subject to the limitations specified in subsection (1) of this section, except that irrigation districts may also hold an election on the first Tuesday in February of each year and on the first Tuesday in August of each year on questions required to be voted upon by title 43, Idaho Code.
[34-106, added 1992, ch. 176, sec. 2, p. 554; am. 1993, ch. 313, sec. 3, p. 1158; am. 2007, ch. 92, sec. 2, p. 272; am. 2009, ch. 341, sec. 55, p. 1030; am. 2010, ch. 185, sec. 6, p. 386; am. 2011, ch. 11, sec. 11, p. 30; am. 2013, ch. 135, sec. 3, p. 308; am. 2015, ch. 285, sec. 1, p. 1155; am. 2015, ch. 292, sec. 2, p. 1167; am. 2018, ch. 238, sec. 1, p. 557.]