2020 Idaho Code
Title 44 - LABOR
Chapter 17 - DISCRIMINATORY WAGE RATES BASED UPON SEX
Section 44-1704 - PROCEDURES FOR COLLECTION OF UNPAID WAGES.
44-1704. PROCEDURES FOR COLLECTION OF UNPAID WAGES. (1) Any employer who violates the provisions of section 44-1702, Idaho Code, shall be liable to the employee or employees affected in the amount of their unpaid wages, and in instances of wilful violation in employee suits under subsection (2) of this section, up to an additional equal amount as liquidated damages.
(2) Action to recover such liability may be maintained in any court of competent jurisdiction by any one or more employees for and in behalf of himself or themselves and other employees similarly situated. The court in such action shall, in cases of violation in addition to any judgment awarded to the plaintiff or plaintiffs, allow a reasonable attorney’s fee to be paid by the defendant, and costs of the action.
(3) No agreement by any such employee to work for less than the wage to which such employee is entitled under this act shall be a bar to any such action, or to a voluntary wage restitution of the full amount due under this act.
(4) At the written request of any employee claiming to have been paid less than the wage to which he may be entitled under this act, the director may bring any legal action necessary in behalf of the employee to collect such claim for unpaid wages. The director shall not be required to pay the filing fee, or other costs, in connection with such action. The director shall have power to join various claims against the employer in one (1) cause of action.
(5) In proceedings under this section, the court may order other affirmative action as appropriate, including reinstatement of employees discharged in violation of this act.
(6) The director shall have power to petition any court of competent jurisdiction to restrain violations of section 44-1702, Idaho Code, and for such affirmative relief as the court may deem appropriate, including restoration of unpaid wages and reinstatement of employees, consistent with the purpose of this act.
[44-1704, added 1969, ch. 252, sec. 4, p. 783; am. 1974, ch. 39, sec. 71, p. 1023.]