2019 Idaho Code
Title 9 - EVIDENCE
Chapter 8 - UNIFORM MEDIATION ACT
Section 9-802 - DEFINITIONS.
9-802. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Mediation" means a process in which a mediator facilitates communication and negotiation between parties to assist them in reaching a voluntary agreement regarding their dispute.
(2) "Mediation communication" means a statement, whether oral or in a record or verbal or nonverbal, that occurs during a mediation or is made for purposes of considering, conducting, participating in, initiating, continuing or reconvening a mediation or retaining a mediator.
(3) "Mediation party" means a person that participates in a mediation and whose agreement is necessary to resolve the dispute.
(4) "Mediator" means an individual who conducts a mediation.
(5) "Nonparty participant" means a person, other than a party or mediator, that participates in a mediation.
(6) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government; governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; public corporation; or any other legal or commercial entity.
(7) "Proceeding" means:
(a) A judicial, administrative, arbitral or other adjudicative process, including related prehearing and posthearing motions, conferences and discovery; or
(b) A legislative hearing or similar process.
(8) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(9) "Sign" means:
(a) To execute or adopt a tangible symbol with the present intent to authenticate a record;
(b) To attach or logically associate an electronic symbol, sound or process to or with a record with the present intent to authenticate a record; or
(c) To assent on a stenographic record with the present intent to authenticate a record.
[9-802, added 2008, ch. 35, sec. 1, p. 67.]