2019 Idaho Code
Title 22 - AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
Chapter 15 - SEED AND PLANT CERTIFICATION
Section 22-1503 - DEFINITIONS.
22-1503. DEFINITIONS. (1) "Breeder seed" means seed or vegetative propagating material directly controlled by the originating, or in certain cases the sponsoring plant breeder or institution, and which provides the source for the initial increase of foundation seed.
(2) "Certified" means the written assurance, in certificate form, of the college of agriculture of the university of Idaho, or of its agent designated hereunder, that the particular seeds, tubers, plants or plant parts have the necessary genetic purity of strain and/or other characteristics to meet the requirements of the rules and regulations promulgated hereunder. Certification by the certifying agent or college of agriculture of the university of Idaho, or its agent, or state of Idaho does not constitute any warranty that certified seeds, tubers, plants or plant parts will be free from disease or contamination.
(3) "Foundation seed" means the progeny of breeder seed stocks that are so handled as to maintain specific genetic identity and purity, and that are designated or distributed by the Idaho agricultural experiment station or private companies.
(4) "Genetic purity" means that the lot of seeds, tubers, plants or plant parts are homogenous for inheritable characteristics as stated in the official description of the variety or strain represented.
(5) "Lot" means a definite quantity of seed identified by a lot number or other mark, every portion or bag of which is uniform within recognized tolerances for the factors which appear in the labeling.
(6) "Plant" or "tubers" or "plants" or "plant parts" mean any variety or strain of plant or part thereof which may be eligible for certification, as hereinafter provided.
(7) "Seed" or "seeds" mean the seed of any variety or strain of plant, including tubers, which may be eligible for certification, as hereinafter provided.
(8) "Variety or strain" means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, yield, plant, fruit, seed, or other characteristics, by which it can be differentiated from other plants of the same kind.
[(22-1503) 1990, ch. 413, sec. 2, p. 1145; am. and redesig. 1993, ch. 69, sec. 1, p. 182.]