2018 Idaho Statutes
Title 28 - COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
Chapter 12 - UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE — LEASES
Part 5 - DEFAULT
Section 28-12-508 - LESSEE’S REMEDIES.
28-12-508. LESSEE’S REMEDIES. (1) If a lessor fails to deliver the goods in conformity to the lease contract (section 28-12-509) or repudiates the lease contract (section 28-12-402), or a lessee rightfully rejects the goods (section 28-12-509) or justifiably revokes acceptance of the goods (section 28-12-517), then with respect to any goods involved, and with respect to all of the goods if under an installment lease contract the value of the whole lease contract is substantially impaired (section 28-12-510), the lessor is in default under the lease contract and the lessee may:
(a) Cancel the lease contract (section 28-12-505(1));
(b) Recover so much of the rent and security as has been paid and is just under the circumstances;
(c) Cover and recover damages as to all goods affected whether or not they have been identified to the lease contract (sections 28-12-518 and 28-12-520), or recover damages for nondelivery (sections 28-12-519 and 28-12-520);
(d) Exercise any other rights or pursue any other remedies provided in the lease contract.
(2) If a lessor fails to deliver the goods in conformity to the lease contract or repudiates the lease contract, the lessee may also:
(a) If the goods have been identified, recover them (section 28-12-522); or
(b) In a proper case, obtain specific performance or replevy the goods (section 28-12-521).
(3) If a lessor is otherwise in default under a lease contract, the lessee may exercise the rights and pursue the remedies provided in the lease contract, which may include a right to cancel the lease, and in section SECTsp1/>28-12-519″>28-12-519(3).
(4) If a lessor has breached a warranty, whether express or implied, the lessee may recover damages (section 28-12-519(4)).
(5) On rightful rejection or justifiable revocation of acceptance, a lessee has a security interest in goods in the lessee’s possession or control for any rent and security that has been paid and any expenses reasonably incurred in their inspection, receipt, transportation, and care and custody and may hold those goods and dispose of them in good faith and in a commercially reasonable manner, subject to section 28-12-527(5).
(6) Subject to the provisions of section 28-12-407, a lessee, on notifying the lessor of the lessee’s intention to do so, may deduct all or any part of the damages resulting from any default under the lease contract from any part of the rent still due under the same lease contract.
[28-12-508, added 1993, ch. 287, sec. 1, p. 1002.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Idaho may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.