2018 Idaho Statutes
Title 26 - BANKS AND BANKING
Chapter 10 - CLOSING AND LIQUIDATION OF BANKS
Section 26-1019 - CLAIMS — ORDER OF PAYMENT — PRIORITIES.
26-1019. CLAIMS — ORDER OF PAYMENT — PRIORITIES. The order of payment of the debts of a bank liquidated by the director shall be as follows:
(1) The expense of liquidation, including compensation of agents, employees and attorneys.
(2) All funds held by bank in trust.
(3) Debts due depositors, holders of cashier’s checks, certified checks, drafts on correspondent banks, including protest fees, paid by them on valid checks or drafts presented after closing of the bank, pro rata. All deposit balances of other banks or trust companies and all deposits of public funds of every kind and character (except those actually placed on special deposit under the statutes providing therefor) including those of the United States, the state of Idaho, and every county, district, municipality, political subdivision or public corporation of this state, whether secured or unsecured, or whether deposited in violation of law or otherwise, are included within the terms of this subdivision and take the same priority as debts due any other depositor, anything in the statutes of the state of Idaho to the contrary notwithstanding.
(4) All other contractual liabilities pro rata.
(5) Interest on all foregoing classes of claims without regard to the priority of the principal computed as follows:
Savings accounts at the same rate they bore at the time of the closing of the bank; time certificates of deposit at the rate fixed in the certificate; all other contractual obligations bearing interest at the rate they bore at the time of closing until due by their terms; no interest to be compounded.
(6) Unliquidated claims for damages and the like.
Provided, however, that the director may, in his discretion, without regard to the priorities herein fixed in subdivisions 3, 4, 5 and 6 of this section, or in preference to the payment of any claims of creditors within these subdivisions, pay off and discharge any lien, claim or charge against the assets or property of the bank in his hands and pay out and expend such sums as he deems necessary for the preservation, maintenance, conservation and protection of any such assets and property, and likewise property on which the bank has liens by mortgage or otherwise; and he may also, in his discretion, create a fund or retain in his hands in preference to the claim of any creditors in the subdivisions above-mentioned moneys for the aforesaid purposes.
Collateral which shall have been put up or pledged as security for the payment of bills payable by any bank, or any loans or discounts which shall have been outstanding as rediscounts of any bank prior to the closing thereof, shall not be available to the other creditors of such bank in whole or in part until such bills payable or rediscounts shall have been retired.
Deposits of any person, firm or corporation in a bank which is in the possession of the director, may be offset against any indebtedness, (subject to the conditions of the preceding paragraph of this section) due to such bank from such person, firm or corporation. All dividends when declared in favor of any creditor of the bank may be applied, in the discretion of the director, in satisfaction of the indebtedness, if any, due the bank from such creditor.
[26-1019, added 1979, ch. 41, sec. 2, p. 109.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Idaho may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.