2017 Idaho Statutes
Title 48 - MONOPOLIES AND TRADE PRACTICES
Chapter 9 - NEW MOTOR VEHICLE WARRANTIES — MANUFACTURER’S DUTY TO REPAIR, REFUND OR REPLACE
Section 48-901 - DEFINITIONS.
48-901. Definitions. For purposes of this chapter, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) "Consumer" means the purchaser or lessee, other than for purposes of resale or sublease, of a new motor vehicle used for personal business use, personal, family or household purposes, or a person to whom the new motor vehicle is transferred for the same purposes during the duration of an express warranty applicable to the motor vehicle.
(2) "Early termination costs" means expenses and obligations incurred by a motor vehicle lessor as a result of an early termination of a written lease agreement and surrender of a motor vehicle to a manufacturer under section 48-904, Idaho Code, including penalties for prepayment of finance arrangements.
(3) "Informal dispute settlement mechanism" means an arbitration process or procedure by which the manufacturer attempts to resolve disputes with consumers regarding motor vehicle nonconformities and repairs that arise during the vehicle’s warranty period.
(4) "Lease" means a contract in the form of a lease or bailment for the use of personal property by a natural person for a period of time exceeding four (4) months, used for personal business use, personal, family, or household purposes, whether or not the lessee has the option to purchase or otherwise become the owner of the property at the expiration of the lease.
(5) "Manufacturer" means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing, assembling or distributing motor vehicles, who will, under normal business conditions during the year, manufacture, assemble or distribute to dealers at least ten (10) new motor vehicles.
(6) "Manufacturer’s express warranty" and "warranty" mean the written warranty of the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle of its condition and fitness for use, including any terms or conditions precedent to the enforcement of obligations under that warranty.
(7) "Motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle as defined in chapter 1, title 49, Idaho Code, which is sold or licensed in this state but does not include:
(a) Motorcycle or farm tractor as defined in sections 49-107 and 49-114, Idaho Code; or
(b) Trailer as defined in section 49-121, Idaho Code; or
(c) Any motor vehicle with a gross laden weight over twelve thousand (12,000) pounds.
(8) "Motor vehicle lessor" means a person who holds title to a motor vehicle leased to a lessee under a written lease agreement or who holds the lessor’s rights under such agreement.
[48-901, added 1998, ch. 333, sec. 2, p. 1070.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Idaho may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.