2017 Idaho Statutes
Title 15 - UNIFORM PROBATE CODE
Chapter 13 - UNIFORM ADULT GUARDIANSHIP AND PROTECTIVE PROCEEDINGS JURISDICTION ACT
Part 3 - TRANSFER OF GUARDIANSHIP OR CONSERVATORSHIP TO ANOTHER STATE
Section 15-13-302 - ACCEPTING GUARDIANSHIP OR CONSERVATORSHIP TRANSFERRED FROM ANOTHER STATE.
15-13-302. ACCEPTING GUARDIANSHIP OR CONSERVATORSHIP TRANSFERRED FROM ANOTHER STATE. (1) To confirm transfer of a guardianship or conservatorship transferred to this state under provisions similar to section 15–13–301, Idaho Code, the guardian or conservator must petition the court in this state to accept the guardianship or conservatorship. The petition must include a certified copy of the other state’s provisional order of transfer.
(2) Notice of a petition pursuant to subsection (1) of this section must be given to those persons that would be entitled to notice if the petition was a petition for the appointment of a guardian or issuance of a protective order in both the transferring state and this state. The notice must be given in the same manner as notice is required to be given in this state.
(3) On the court’s own motion or on request of the guardian or conservator, the incapacitated or protected person, or other person required to be notified of the proceeding, the court shall hold a hearing on a petition filed pursuant to subsection (1) of this section.
(4) The court shall issue an order provisionally granting a petition filed pursuant to subsection (1) of this section unless:
(a) An objection is made and the objector establishes that transfer of the proceeding would be contrary to the interests of the incapacitated or protected person; or
(b) The guardian or conservator is ineligible for appointment in this state.
(5) The court shall issue a final order accepting the proceeding and appointing a guardian or conservator as guardian or conservator in this state upon its receipt, from the court from which the proceeding is being transferred, of a final order issued under provisions similar to section 15–13–301, Idaho Code, transferring the proceeding to this state.
(6) Not later than ninety (90) days after issuance of a final order accepting transfer of a guardianship or conservatorship, the court shall determine whether the guardianship or conservatorship needs to be modified to conform to the law of this state.
(7) In granting a petition pursuant to this section, the court shall recognize a guardianship or conservatorship order from the other state, including the determination of the incapacitated or protected person’s incapacity and the appointment of a guardian or conservator.
(8) The denial by a court of this state of a petition to accept a guardianship or conservatorship transferred from another state does not affect the ability of the guardian or conservator to seek appointment as guardian or conservator in this state pursuant to chapter 5, title 15, Idaho Code, if the court has jurisdiction to make an appointment other than by reason of the provisional order of transfer.
[15-13-302, added 2011, ch. 36, sec. 1, p. 84.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Idaho may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.