2021 Hawaii Revised Statutes
Title 10. Public Safety and Internal Security
132D. Fireworks
132D-5 General prohibitions.

Universal Citation: HI Rev Stat § 132D-5 (2021)

§132D-5 General prohibitions. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person without a permit issued under section 132D-10 by a county fire department to:

(1) Remove or extract the pyrotechnic contents from any fireworks;

(2) Throw any ignited fireworks:

(A) From, at, or into a vehicle;

(B) At a person or an animal; and

(C) From above the first floor of any building; or

(3) Set off, ignite, discharge, or otherwise cause to explode any fireworks:

(A) Above the first floor of any building;

(B) In any vehicle;

(C) At any time not within the periods for use prescribed in section 132D-3;

(D) Within one thousand feet of any operating hospital, licensed convalescent home, licensed home for the elderly, zoo, licensed animal shelter, or licensed animal hospital;

(E) In any school building, or on any school grounds and yards without first obtaining authorization from appropriate school officials;

(F) On any highway, alley, street, sidewalk, or other public way; in any park; on any public beach; in any officially designated forest or wildlife preserve; within fifty feet of a canefield; or within one thousand feet of any building used for public worship during the periods when services are held; and

(G) Within five hundred feet of any hotel.

(b) It shall be unlawful to purchase consumer fireworks more than five calendar days before the time periods for permissible use under section 132D-3.

(c) It shall be unlawful to sell consumer fireworks after 12:01 a.m. on New Year's Day, 6:00 p.m. on Chinese New Year's Day, and 8:00 p.m. on the Fourth of July. [L 1994, c 180, pt of §1; am L 2006, c 183, §6; am L 2008, c 38, §2]

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.