2020 Hawaii Revised Statutes
Title 28. Property
523A. Unclaimed Property
- 523A-1 to 523A-41 REPEALED.
- 523A-2 Definitions.
- 523A-3 Presumptions of abandonment.
- 523A-3.5 Gift certificates and gift cards.
- 523A-4 Contents of safe deposit box or other safekeeping depository.
- 523A-5 Rules of taking custody.
- 523A-6 Dormancy charge.
- 523A-7 Burden of proof as to property evidenced by record of check or draft.
- 523A-8 Report of abandoned property.
- 523A-9 Payment or delivery of abandoned property.
- 523A-10 Notice and publication of lists of abandoned property.
- 523A-11 Custody by State; recovery by holder; defense of holder.
- 523A-12 Crediting of dividends, interest, and increments to owner's account.
- 523A-13 Public sale of abandoned property.
- 523A-14 Claim of another state to recover property.
- 523A-15 Filing claim with administrator; handling of claims by administrator.
- 523A-16 Action to establish claim.
- 523A-17 Election to take payment or delivery.
- 523A-18 Destruction or disposition of property having no substantial commercial value; immunity from liability.
- 523A-19 Periods of limitation.
- 523A-20 Requests for reports and examination of records.
- 523A-21 Retention of records.
- 523A-22 Enforcement.
- 523A-23 Interstate agreements and cooperation; joint and reciprocal actions with other states.
- 523A-24 Interest and penalties.
- 523A-25 Agreement to locate property.
- 523A-26 Deposit of funds.
- 523A-27 Foreign transactions.
- 523A-28 Transitional provisions.
- 523A-29 Rules.
- 523A-30 Uniformity of application and construction.
- 523A-51 Declaration of policy.
- 523A-52 Definitions.
- 523A-53 Unclaimed property subject to delivery to State; presumptions.
- 523A-54 Request by director of finance for report of previously unreported information.
- 523A-55 Agreement for State's payment of share of costs.
- 523A-56 Posting copy of report; notice of interest and intention to claim; determination of asserted interest.
- 523A-57 State's right unaffected by expiration of time for proceeding.
- 523A-58 Petition for determination of State's right to custody of unclaimed property; venue; service not required.
- 523A-59 Notice of proceedings.
- 523A-60 Answer; disposition of funds on deposit; dismissal without prejudice.
- 523A-61 Application for judgment relating to property not claimed by answer, and finding and declaration thereon.
- 523A-62 Request for delivery or payment of unclaimed property described in judgment; receipts.
- 523A-63 Disposition of property received.
- 523A-64 Undertaking to hold the United States harmless; intervention by state attorney general.
- 523A-65 State rights not affected.
Chapter heading changed by revisor pursuant to 23G-15.
Attorney General Opinions
Act 214, L 1996, which amended Hawaii's unclaimed property law to permit escheat of abandoned property, was constitutional; recommendations regarding notice of custodial taking and escheat notice, discussed. Att. Gen. Op. 98-4.