2018 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 30. GUARDIANS AND TRUSTEES
551E. Uniform Power of Attorney Act
551E-44 Benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service.
[§551E-44] Benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service. (a) In this section, "benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service" means any benefit, program, or assistance provided under a statute or regulation, including social security, medicare, and medicaid.
(b) Unless the power of attorney otherwise provides, language in a power of attorney granting general authority with respect to benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service shall authorize the agent to:
(1) Execute vouchers in the name of the principal for allowances and reimbursements payable by the United States or a foreign government or by a state or subdivision of a state to the principal, including allowances and reimbursements for transportation of the individuals described in [section] 551E-43(a)(1), and for shipment of their household effects;
(2) Take possession and order the removal and shipment of property of the principal from a post, warehouse, depot, dock, or other place of storage or safekeeping, either governmental or private, and execute and deliver a release, voucher, receipt, bill of lading, shipping ticket, certificate, or other instrument for that purpose;
(3) Enroll in, apply for, select, reject, change, amend, or discontinue, on the principal's behalf, a benefit or program;
(4) Prepare, file, and maintain a claim of the principal for a benefit or assistance, financial or otherwise, to which the principal may be entitled under a statute or regulation;
(5) Initiate, participate in, submit to alternative dispute resolution, settle, oppose, or propose or accept a compromise with respect to litigation concerning any benefit or assistance the principal may be entitled to receive under a statute or regulation; and
(6) Receive the financial proceeds of a claim described in paragraph (4) and conserve, invest, disburse, or use for a lawful purpose anything so received. [L 2014, c 22, pt of §1]