2017 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 23A. OTHER BUSINESS ENTITIES
428. Uniform Limited Liability Company Act
§428-105 Name. (a) The name of a limited liability company must contain "limited liability company" or the abbreviation "L.L.C." or "LLC". "Limited" may be abbreviated as "Ltd.", and "company" may be abbreviated as "Co.". The letters in the name of a limited liability company must be letters of the English alphabet.
(b) Except as authorized by subsections (c) and (d), the name of a limited liability company shall not be the same as, or substantially identical to:
(1) The name of any domestic corporation, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, or limited liability partnership existing or registered under the laws of this State;
(2) The name of any foreign corporation, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, or limited liability partnership authorized to transact business in this State;
(3) A name the exclusive right to which is reserved under the laws of this State;
(4) A fictitious name approved under section 428-1005 for a foreign limited liability company authorized to transact business in this State because its real name is unavailable; or
(5) Any trade name, trademark, or service mark registered in this State.
(c) A limited liability company may apply to the director for authorization to use a name that, upon the records of the department, is the same as, or is substantially identical to, one or more of the names described in subsection (b). The director may authorize use of a substantially identical name applied for if:
(1) The present user, registrant, or owner of a reserved or registered name consents in writing to the use and registration of the name, and one or more words are added by the applicant to make the name distinguishable from the name on record; or
(2) The applicant delivers to the director a certified copy of the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant's right to use the name applied for in this State.
(d) A limited liability company may use the name, including a fictitious name, of another domestic or foreign entity which is used in this State if the other entity is organized or authorized to transact business in this State and the company proposing to use the name has:
(1) Merged with the other entity; or
(2) Been formed by reorganization with the other entity. [L 1996, c 92, pt of §1; am L 1999, c 249, §31; am L 2000, c 219, §69; am L 2001, c 129, §88; am L 2012, c 58, §19]