2017 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 17. MOTOR AND OTHER VEHICLES
291C. Statewide Traffic Code
PART I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- 291C-1 Definitions.
- 291C-2 Trauma system surcharge.
- 291C-3 State and county safe routes to school programs; coordinators; grants; reports.
- 291C-4 Safe routes to school program special fund; establishment.
- 291C-5 Safe routes to school program surcharge.
PART II. ACCIDENTS AND ACCIDENT REPORTS
- 291C-11 Provisions of part apply throughout State.
- 291C-12 Accidents involving death or serious bodily injury.
- 291C-12.5 Accidents involving substantial bodily injury.
- 291C-12.6 Accidents involving bodily injury.
- 291C-13 Accidents involving damage to vehicle or property.
- 291C-14 Duty to give information and render aid.
- 291C-15 Duty upon striking unattended vehicle or other property.
- 291C-16 Immediate notice of accident.
- 291C-17 Written reports of accidents.
- 291C-18 False reports.
- 291C-19 Garages to report.
- 291C-20 Disclosure of traffic accident reports.
RULES OF THE ROAD
PART III. OBEDIENCE TO AND EFFECT OF TRAFFIC LAWS
- 291C-21 Provisions of parts III to XIV refer to vehicles upon the highways; exceptions.
- 291C-22 REPEALED.
- 291C-23 Obedience to police officers.
- 291C-24 Persons riding animals or driving animal-drawn vehicles.
- 291C-25 Persons working on highways; exceptions.
- 291C-26 Authorized emergency vehicles.
- 291C-27 Emergency vehicle stopped for emergencies; duty of approaching vehicle.
PART IV. TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS AND MARKINGS
- 291C-31 Obedience to and required traffic-control devices.
- 291C-32 Traffic-control signal legend.
- 291C-33 Pedestrian-control signals.
- 291C-34 Flashing signals.
- 291C-35 Lane-direction-control signals.
- 291C-36 Display of unauthorized signs, signals, or markings.
- 291C-37 Interference with official traffic-control devices or railroad signs or signals.
- 291C-38 Longitudinal traffic lane markings.
PART V. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY;
OVERTAKING AND PASSING; USE OF ROADWAY
- 291C-41 Drive on right side of roadway; exceptions.
- 291C-42 Passing vehicles proceeding in opposite directions.
- 291C-43 Overtaking a vehicle on the left.
- 291C-44 When overtaking on the right is permitted.
- 291C-45 Limitations on overtaking on the left.
- 291C-46 Further limitation on driving on left of center of roadway.
- 291C-47 No-passing zones.
- 291C-48 One-way roadways and rotary traffic islands.
- 291C-49 Driving on roadways laned for traffic.
- 291C-50 Following too closely.
- 291C-51 Driving on divided highways.
- 291C-52 Restricted access.
- 291C-53 Restrictions on use of controlled-access roadway or highway.
PART VI. RIGHT-OF-WAY
- 291C-61 Vehicle approaching or entering intersection.
- 291C-62 Vehicle turning.
- 291C-63 Vehicle entering stop or yield intersection.
- 291C-64 Vehicle entering highway from private road or driveway.
- 291C-65 Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles.
PART VII. PEDESTRIANS' RIGHTS AND DUTIES
- 291C-71 Pedestrian obedience to traffic-control devices and traffic regulations.
- 291C-72 Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.
- 291C-73 Crossing at other than crosswalks.
- 291C-74 Drivers to exercise due care.
- 291C-75 Pedestrians to use right half of crosswalks.
- 291C-76 Pedestrians on roadways.
- 291C-77 Pedestrians soliciting rides, business, or attention of motorist.
- 291C-78 Driving through safety zone prohibited.
- 291C-79 Pedestrians' right-of-way on sidewalks.
PART VIII. TURNING AND STARTING AND
SIGNALS ON STOPPING AND TURNING
- 291C-81 Required position and method of turning at intersections.
- 291C-82 Turning so as to proceed in the opposite direction.
- 291C-83 Starting parked vehicle.
- 291C-84 Turning movements and required signals.
- 291C-85 Signals by hand and arm or signal lamps.
- 291C-86 Method of giving hand-and-arm signals.
PART IX. SPECIAL STOPS REQUIRED
- 291C-91 Obedience to signal indicating approach of train.
- 291C-92 All vehicles must stop at certain railroad grade crossings.
- 291C-93 Certain vehicles must stop at all railroad crossings.
- 291C-94 Emerging from alley, driveway, or building.
- 291C-95 Overtaking and passing school bus.
PART X. SPEED RESTRICTIONS
- 291C-101 Basic rule.
- 291C-102 Noncompliance with speed limit prohibited.
- 291C-103 Racing on highways.
- 291C-104 Speeding in a school zone or construction area
- 291C-105 Excessive speeding.
- 291C-106 Speed limit for Daniel K. Inouye highway.
PART XI. STOPPING, STANDING AND PARKING
- 291C-111 Noncompliance with stopping, standing, or parking requirements.
- 291C-112 Certain uses of parked vehicles prohibited between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.; definition; exceptions.
- 291C-113 Ordinances regulating use of vehicles for purposes of human habitation.
- 291C-114 Parking on sidewalks.
- 291C-115 Wheel boots prohibited.
PART XII. MISCELLANEOUS RULES
- 291C-121 Unattended motor vehicle.
- 291C-121.5 Leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle.
- 291C-122 Limitations on backing.
- 291C-123 Driving or parking upon bikeway; parking penalty.
- 291C-124 Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism.
- 291C-125 Opening and closing vehicle doors.
- 291C-126 Riding in house trailers.
- 291C-127 Coasting prohibited.
- 291C-128 Following emergency vehicle prohibited.
- 291C-129 Crossing fire hose.
- 291C-130 Slow moving vehicle emblem required; penalty.
- 291C-130.5 Dangerous wheels; prohibited.
- 291C-131 Spilling loads on highways; penalties.
- 291C-132 Littering from vehicles.
- 291C-133 Waste material falling from motor vehicles.
- 291C-134 Neighborhood electric vehicles; speed; restrictions.
- 291C-134.5 Electric personal assistive mobility devices; restrictions.
- 291C-135 Tow trucks; signage and insurance requirements.
- 291C-136 Towing by consent; payment.
- 291C-137 Mobile electronic devices.
PART XIII. OPERATION OF BICYCLES AND PLAY VEHICLES
- 291C-141 Effect of regulations.
- 291C-142 Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles.
- 291C-143 Riding on bicycles.
- 291C-144 Clinging to vehicles.
- 291C-145 Riding on roadways and bikeways.
- 291C-146 Carrying articles.
- 291C-147 Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
- 291C-148 Driving upon sidewalk.
- 291C-149 Bicycle racing.
- 291C-150 Bicycle helmets.
PART XIV. SPECIAL RULES FOR MOTORCYCLES
- 291C-151 Traffic laws apply to persons operating motorcycles.
- 291C-152 Riding on motorcycles.
- 291C-153 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.
- 291C-154 Clinging to other vehicles.
- 291C-155 Footrests and handlebars.
PART XV. PENALTIES AND PROCEDURE ON ARREST;
RESPECTIVE POWERS OF STATE AND COUNTIES
- 291C-161 Penalties.
- 291C-162 Provisions uniform throughout State.
- 291C-163 Powers of counties.
- 291C-164 Procedure upon arrest.
- 291C-165 Summons or citation.
- 291C-165.5 Motor vehicle towing and storage; settlement.
- 291C-166 REPEALED.
- 291C-167 Summons or citation on illegally parked vehicle.
- 291C-168 REPEALED.
- 291C-168.5 REPEALED.
- 291C-169 When complaint to be issued.
- 291C-170 Revocation or suspension of license.
- 291C-171 Disposition of fines and forfeitures.
- 291C-171.5 Collection of fines and costs.
- 291C-172 Refusal to provide identification.
- 291C-173 Interpretation.
- 291C-174 Severability.
PART XVI. SPECIAL RULES FOR MOPEDS
- 291C-191 Definition.
- 291C-192 Effect of violations; vicarious responsibility; jurisdiction.
- 291C-193 Traffic laws apply to persons driving mopeds.
- 291C-194 Driver's license required.
- 291C-195 Driving of mopeds.
- 291C-196 Driving mopeds on roadways.
- 291C-197 Driving mopeds on bicycle lanes and paths.
- 291C-198 Speed restrictions on mopeds.
- 291C-199 Clinging to vehicles, bicycles, etc.
- 291C-200 Use of lamps on mopeds.
- 291C-201 Renting or selling mopeds.
- 291C-202 Moped equipment requirements and inspection.
- 291C-203 Certification of compliance.
- 291C-204 Defacing serial numbers, etc., of mopeds.
- 291C-205 Unlawful to possess certain mopeds and moped parts.
- 291C-206 Modifying moped motor; violation.
- 291C-207 Moped liability insurance; coverage for damage by rented or leased moped.
PART XVII. HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES
- 291C-221 Definitions
- 291C-221.5 High occupancy vehicle lanes; emergencies.
- 291C-222 Designation of high occupancy vehicle lane.
- 291C-222.5 School buses; zipper lanes.
- 291C-223 Summons or citation for illegal use of high occupancy vehicle lane.
- 291C-224 Registered owner's responsibility for a summons or citation.
- 291C-225 Failure to comply with summons or citation.
- 291C-226 Liability for rental or U-drive vehicle.
- 291C-227 Penalty.
Pedestrian safety improvements (reports through 2009 legislature). L Sp 2007, c 2, 4.
Adjudication of traffic infractions, see chapter 291D.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.