2016 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 36. CIVIL REMEDIES AND DEFENSES AND SPECIAL PROCEEDINGS
662. State Tort Liability Act
- 662-1 Definitions.
- 662-2 Waiver and liability of State.
- 662-3 Jurisdiction.
- 662-4 Statute of limitations.
- 662-5 Jury.
- 662-6 Pleadings, trial and appeal.
- 662-7 Attorney general.
- 662-8 Interest.
- 662-9 Costs.
- 662-10 Judgment as bar.
- 662-11 Compromise.
- 662-12 Attorney's fees.
- 662-13 No awards except upon legal evidence.
- 662-14 Exclusiveness of remedy.
- 662-15 Exceptions.
- 662-16 Defense of state employees.
- 662-17 Benefits and obligations of parents of minor employees.
- 662-18 Conclusive presumptions; unexploded ordnance on Kahoolawe and in the ocean adjacent to Kahoolawe.
- 662-19 Limited liability for skateboarding activities in public skateboard parks.
Law Journals and Reviews
Tort and Insurance "Reform" in a Common Law Court. 14 UH L. Rev. 55 (1992).
Ala Loop and the Private Right of Action Under Hawai i Constitution Article XI, Section 9: Charting a Path Toward a Cohesive Enforcement Scheme. 33 UH L. Rev. 367 (2010).
Determination of whether a state function is discretionary, discussed. 71 H. 581, 799 P.2d 959 (1990).
Counties do not fall within the ambit of the State Tort Liability Act; 46-72 is the statute of limitations applicable to actions against the counties. 104 H. 341, 90 P.3d 233 (2004).
Petitioner's claim for alleged negligence by the department of education (DOE) in evaluating petitioner's proposal, and in deciding the dispute with petitioner, was barred under this chapter because the DOE's conduct was not analogous to "a recognized claim for relief against a private person"; petitioner did not identify circumstances under which a private party could be sued for negligently applying the law, rules, or a request for proposals in awarding a government contract. 127 H. 263, 277 P.3d 988 (2012).
State has not waived sovereign immunity from 42 U.S.C. 1983 actions. 6 H. App. 397, 721 P.2d 165 (1986).
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.