2015 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 14. TAXATION
241. Taxation of Banks and Other Financial Corporations
241-4 Measure and rate of tax.
§241-4 Measure and rate of tax. (a) The measure of the tax imposed by this chapter is the entire net income from all sources for the preceding calendar year, or in the case of a taxpayer operating on a fiscal year basis, for the preceding fiscal year. The tax shall be at the rate of seven and ninety-two one hundredths per cent of the entire net income from all sources.
(b) The "entire net income from all sources" shall be determined in the same manner as the "taxable income" of a corporation, as provided by chapter 235, with the following changes and adjustments:
(1) There is included in gross income interest received upon the obligations of the United States or its possessions, or upon securities issued under the authority of an act of Congress, or upon state, territorial, municipal, county, or other bonds or securities whether or not the income from such obligations, bonds, or securities, is tax free. Section 235-7(a)(1), (5), and (6) does not apply.
(2) Deductions connected with income which by this chapter are required to be included in the computation of net income shall be allowed, but deductions connected with income which by this chapter are not to be included in the computation of net income shall not be allowed. Section 235-7(e)(1) does not apply.
(3) Debts ascertained to be worthless and charged off on the books of the taxpayer within the income year may be deducted, or in the discretion of the department of taxation may be treated as a reasonable addition to a reserve for bad debts; provided that when satisfied that a debt is recoverable only in part, the department may allow the debt to be charged off in part.
(4) In the case of any life insurance company (as defined by the Internal Revenue Code), which is determined to be a financial corporation as defined by this chapter, sections 801, 811, and 812 of the Internal Revenue Code do not apply. The total of the deductions allowed by sections 807 and 810 of the Internal Revenue Code shall not exceed the amount of the required interest, as defined by section 807 of the Internal Revenue Code.
(5) Section 582 (with respect to bonds, etc., losses and gains of financial institutions) of the Internal Revenue Code shall be operative for the purposes of this chapter. [L Sp 1957, c 1, pt of §10(a); am L Sp 1959 2d, c 1, §16; am L 1965, c 155, §21; Supp, §127-4; HRS §241-4; am L 1975, c 52, §1; am L 1978, c 173, §3; am L 1979, c 62, §3; am L 1985, c 19, §3; am L 1987, c 39, §6; am L 1988, c 69, §2; am L 1992, c 106, §14; am L 1995, c 85, §1]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.