2013 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 27. UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
490. Uniform Commercial Code
ARTICLE 1. OLD
- 490:1-101 to 490:1-208 REPEALED.
- 490:1-102 Scope of article.
- 490:1-103 Construction of chapter to promote its purposes and policies; applicability of supplemental principles of law.
- 490:1-104 Construction against implied repeal.
- 490:1-105 Severability.
- 490:1-106 Use of singular and plural; gender.
- 490:1-107 Section captions.
- 490:1-108 Relation to Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act.
PART 2. GENERAL DEFINITIONS AND
PRINCIPLES OF INTERPRETATION
- 490:1-201 General definitions.
- 490:1-202 Notice; knowledge.
- 490:1-203 Lease distinguished from security interest.
- 490:1-204 Value.
- 490:1-205 Reasonable time; seasonableness.
- 490:1-206 Presumptions.
PART 3. TERRITORIAL APPLICABILITY AND GENERAL RULES
- 490:1-301 Territorial applicability; parties' power to choose applicable law.
- 490:1-302 Variation by agreement.
- 490:1-303 Course of performance, course of dealing, and usage of trade.
- 490:1-304 Obligation of good faith.
- 490:1-305 Remedies to be liberally administered.
- 490:1-306 Waiver or renunciation of claim or right after breach.
- 490:1-307 Prima facie evidence by third-party documents.
- 490:1-308 Performance or acceptance under reservation of rights.
- 490:1-309 Option to accelerate at will.
- 490:1-310 Subordinated obligations.
- 490:2-101 Short title.
- 490:2-102 Scope; certain security and other transactions excluded from this article.
- 490:2-103 Definitions and index of definitions.
- 490:2-104 Definitions: "merchant"; "between merchants"; "financing agency".
- 490:2-105 Definitions: transferability; "goods"; "future" goods; "lot"; "commercial unit".
- 490:2-106 Definitions
- 490:2-107 Goods to be severed from realty: recording.
PART 2. FORM, FORMATION AND READJUSTMENT OF CONTRACT
- 490:2-201 Formal requirements; statute of frauds.
- 490:2-202 Final written expression: parol or extrinsic evidence.
- 490:2-203 Seals inoperative.
- 490:2-204 Formation in general.
- 490:2-205 Firm offers.
- 490:2-206 Offer and acceptance in formation of contract.
- 490:2-207 Additional terms in acceptance or confirmation.
- 490:2-208 REPEALED.
- 490:2-209 Modification, rescission and waiver.
- 490:2-210 Delegation of performance; assignment of rights.
PART 3. GENERAL OBLIGATION AND CONSTRUCTION OF CONTRACT
- 490:2-301 General obligation of parties.
- 490:2-302 Unconscionable contract or clause.
- 490:2-303 Allocation or division of risks.
- 490:2-304 Price payable in money, goods, realty or otherwise.
- 490:2-305 Open price term.
- 490:2-306 Output, requirements and exclusive dealings.
- 490:2-307 Delivery in single lot or several lots.
- 490:2-308 Absence of specified place for delivery.
- 490:2-309 Absence of specific time provisions; notice of termination.
- 490:2-310 Open time for payment or running of credit; authority to ship under reservation.
- 490:2-311 Options and cooperation respecting performance.
- 490:2-312 Warranty of title and against infringement; buyer's obligation against infringement.
- 490:2-313 Express warranties by affirmation, promise, description, sample.
- 490:2-313.1, 313.2 REPEALED.
- 490:2-314 Implied warranty: merchantability; usage of trade.
- 490:2-315 Implied warranty: fitness for particular purpose.
- 490:2-316 Exclusion or modification of warranties.
- 490:2-317 Cumulation and conflict of warranties express or implied.
- 490:2-318 Third party beneficiaries of warranties express or implied.
- 490:2-319 F.O.B. and F.A.S. terms.
- 490:2-320 C.I.F. and C. & F. terms.
- 490:2-321 C.I.F. or C. & F.: "net landed weights"; "payment on arrival"; warranty of condition on arrival.
- 490:2-322 Delivery "ex-ship".
- 490:2-323 Form of bill of lading required in overseas shipment; "overseas".
- 490:2-324 "No arrival, no sale" term.
- 490:2-325 "Letter of credit" term; "confirmed credit".
- 490:2-326 Sale on approval and sale or return; rights of creditors.
- 490:2-327 Special incidents of sale on approval and sale or return.
- 490:2-328 Sale by auction.
PART 4. TITLE, CREDITORS AND GOOD FAITH PURCHASERS
- 490:2-401 Passing of title; reservation for security; limited application of this section.
- 490:2-402 Rights of seller's creditors against sold goods.
- 490:2-403 Power to transfer; good faith purchase of goods; "entrusting".
PART 5. PERFORMANCE
- 490:2-501 Insurable interest in goods; manner of identification of goods.
- 490:2-502 Buyer's right to goods on seller's repudiation, failure to deliver, or insolvency.
- 490:2-503 Manner of seller's tender of delivery.
- 490:2-504 Shipment by seller.
- 490:2-505 Seller's shipment under reservation.
- 490:2-506 Rights of financing agency.
- 490:2-507 Effect of seller's tender; delivery on condition.
- 490:2-508 Cure by seller of improper tender or delivery; replacement.
- 490:2-509 Risk of loss in the absence of breach.
- 490:2-510 Effect of breach on risk of loss.
- 490:2-511 Tender of payment by buyer; payment by check.
- 490:2-512 Payment by buyer before inspection.
- 490:2-513 Buyer's right to inspection of goods.
- 490:2-514 When documents deliverable on acceptance; when on payment.
- 490:2-515 Preserving evidence of goods in dispute.
PART 6. BREACH, REPUDIATION AND EXCUSE
- 490:2-601 Buyer's rights on improper delivery.
- 490:2-602 Manner and effect of rightful rejection.
- 490:2-603 Merchant buyer's duties as to rightfully rejected goods.
- 490:2-604 Buyer's options as to salvage of rightfully rejected goods.
- 490:2-605 Waiver of buyer's objections by failure to particularize.
- 490:2-606 What constitutes acceptance of goods.
- 490:2-607 Effect of acceptance; notice of breach; burden of establishing breach after acceptance; notice of claim or litigation to person answerable over.
- 490:2-608 Revocation of acceptance in whole or in part.
- 490:2-609 Right to adequate assurance of performance.
- 490:2-610 Anticipatory repudiation.
- 490:2-611 Retraction of anticipatory repudiation.
- 490:2-612 "Installment contract"; breach.
- 490:2-613 Casualty to identified goods.
- 490:2-614 Substituted performance.
- 490:2-615 Excuse by failure of presupposed conditions.
- 490:2-616 Procedure on notice claiming excuse.
PART 7. REMEDIES
- 490:2-701 Remedies for breach of collateral contracts not impaired.
- 490:2-702 Seller's remedies on discovery of buyer's insolvency.
- 490:2-703 Seller's remedies in general.
- 490:2-704 Seller's right to identify goods to the contract notwithstanding breach or to salvage unfinished goods.
- 490:2-705 Seller's stoppage of delivery in transit or otherwise.
- 490:2-706 Seller's resale including contract for resale.
- 490:2-707 "Person in the position of a seller".
- 490:2-708 Seller's damages for nonacceptance or repudiation.
- 490:2-709 Action for the price.
- 490:2-710 Seller's incidental damages.
- 490:2-711 Buyer's remedies in general; buyer's security interest in rejected goods.
- 490:2-712 "Cover"; buyer's procurement of substitute goods.
- 490:2-713 Buyer's damages for nondelivery or repudiation.
- 490:2-714 Buyer's damages for breach in regard to accepted goods.
- 490:2-715 Buyer's incidental and consequential damages.
- 490:2-716 Buyer's right to specific performance or replevin.
- 490:2-717 Deduction of damages from the price.
- 490:2-718 Liquidation or limitation of damages; deposits.
- 490:2-719 Contractual modification or limitation of remedy.
- 490:2-720 Effect of "cancellation" or "rescission" on claims for antecedent breach.
- 490:2-721 Remedies for fraud.
- 490:2-722 Who can sue third parties for injury to goods.
- 490:2-723 Proof of market price; time and place.
- 490:2-724 Admissibility of market quotations.
- 490:2-725 Statute of limitations in contracts for sale.
- 490:2A-101 Short title.
- 490:2A-102 Scope.
- 490:2A-103 Definitions and index of definitions.
- 490:2A-104 Leases subject to other law.
- 490:2A-105 Territorial application of article to goods covered by certificate of title.
- 490:2A-106 Limitation on power of parties to consumer lease to choose applicable law and judicial forum.
- 490:2A-107 Waiver or renunciation of claim or right after default.
- 490:2A-108 Unconscionability.
- 490:2A-109 Option to accelerate at will.
PART 2. FORMATION AND CONSTRUCTION OF LEASE CONTRACT
- 490:2A-201 Statute of frauds.
- 490:2A-202 Final written expression: parol or extrinsic evidence.
- 490:2A-203 Seals inoperative.
- 490:2A-204 Formation in general.
- 490:2A-205 Firm offers.
- 490:2A-206 Offer and acceptance in formation of lease contract.
- 490:2A-207 REPEALED.
- 490:2A-208 Modification, rescission and waiver.
- 490:2A-209 Lessee under finance lease as beneficiary of supply contract.
- 490:2A-210 Express warranties.
- 490:2A-211 Warranties against interference and against infringement; lessee's obligation against infringement.
- 490:2A-212 Implied warranty of merchantability.
- 490:2A-213 Implied warranty of fitness for particular purpose.
- 490:2A-214 Exclusion or modification of warranties.
- 490:2A-215 Cumulation and conflict of warranties express or implied.
- 490:2A-216 Third-party beneficiaries of express and implied warranties.
- 490:2A-217 Identification.
- 490:2A-218 Insurance and proceeds.
- 490:2A-219 Risk of loss.
- 490:2A-220 Effect of default on risk of loss.
- 490:2A-221 Casualty to identified goods.
PART 3. EFFECT OF LEASE CONTRACT
- 490:2A-301 Enforceability of lease contract.
- 490:2A-302 Title to and possession of goods.
- 490:2A-303 Alienability of party's interest under lease contract or of lessor's residual interest in goods; delegation of performance; transfer of rights.
- 490:2A-304 Subsequent lease of goods by lessor.
- 490:2A-305 Sale or sublease of goods by lessee.
- 490:2A-306 Priority of certain liens arising by operation of law.
- 490:2A-307 Priority of liens arising by attachment or levy on, security interests in, and other claims to goods.
- 490:2A-308 Special rights of creditors.
- 490:2A-309 Lessor's and lessee's rights when goods become fixtures.
- 490:2A-310 Lessor's and lessee's rights when goods become accessions.
- 490:2A-311 Priority subject to subordination.
PART 4. PERFORMANCE OF LEASE CONTRACT:
REPUDIATED, SUBSTITUTED, AND EXCUSED
- 490:2A-401 Insecurity: adequate assurance of performance.
- 490:2A-402 Anticipatory repudiation.
- 490:2A-403 Retraction of anticipatory repudiation.
- 490:2A-404 Substituted performance.
- 490:2A-405 Excused performance.
- 490:2A-406 Procedure on excused performance.
- 490:2A-407 Irrevocable promises: finance leases.
PART 5. DEFAULT
Subpart A. In General
- 490:2A-501 Default: procedure.
- 490:2A-502 Notice after default.
- 490:2A-503 Modification or impairment of rights and remedies.
- 490:2A-504 Liquidation of damages.
- 490:2A-505 Cancellation and termination and effect of cancellation, termination, rescission, or fraud on rights and remedies.
- 490:2A-506 Statute of limitations.
- 490:2A-507 Proof of market rent: time and place.
Subpart B. Default by Lessor
- 490:2A-508 Lessee's remedies.
- 490:2A-509 Lessee's rights on improper delivery; rightful rejection.
- 490:2A-510 Installment lease contracts: rejection and default.
- 490:2A-511 Merchant lessee's duties as to rightfully rejected goods.
- 490:2A-512 Lessee's duties as to rightfully rejected goods.
- 490:2A-513 Cure by lessor of improper tender or delivery; replacement.
- 490:2A-514 Waiver of lessee's objections.
- 490:2A-515 Acceptance of goods.
- 490:2A-516 Effect of acceptance of goods; notice of default; burden of establishing default after acceptance; notice of claim or litigation to person answerable over.
- 490:2A-517 Revocation of acceptance of goods.
- 490:2A-518 Cover; substitute goods.
- 490:2A-519 Lessee's damages for nondelivery, repudiation, default, and breach of warranty in regard to accepted goods.
- 490:2A-520 Lessee's incidental and consequential damages.
- 490:2A-521 Lessee's right to specific performance or replevin.
- 490:2A-522 Lessee's right to goods on lessor's insolvency.
Subpart C. Default by Lessee
- 490:2A-523 Lessor's remedies.
- 490:2A-524 Lessor's right to identify goods to lease contract.
- 490:2A-525 Lessor's right to possession of goods.
- 490:2A-526 Lessor's stoppage of delivery in transit or otherwise.
- 490:2A-527 Lessor's rights to dispose of goods.
- 490:2A-528 Lessor's damages for nonacceptance, failure to pay, repudiation, or other default.
- 490:2A-529 Lessor's action for the rent.
- 490:2A-530 Lessor's incidental damages.
- 490:2A-531 Standing to sue third parties for injury to goods.
- 490:2A-532 Lessor's rights to residual interest.
ARTICLE 3. OLD
REPEALED. L 1991, c 118, §5.
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS AND DEFINITIONS
- 490:3-101 Short title.
- 490:3-102 Subject matter.
- 490:3-103 Definitions.
- 490:3-104 Negotiable instrument.
- 490:3-105 Issue of instrument.
- 490:3-106 Unconditional promise or order.
- 490:3-107 Instrument payable in foreign money.
- 490:3-108 Payable on demand or at definite time.
- 490:3-109 Payable to bearer or to order.
- 490:3-110 Identification of person to whom instrument is payable.
- 490:3-111 Place of payment.
- 490:3-112 Interest.
- 490:3-113 Date of instrument.
- 490:3-114 Contradictory terms of instrument.
- 490:3-115 Incomplete instrument.
- 490:3-116 Joint and several liability; contribution.
- 490:3-117 Other agreements affecting instrument.
- 490:3-118 Statute of limitations.
- 490:3-119 Notice of right to defend action.
PART 2. NEGOTIATION, TRANSFER, AND INDORSEMENT
- 490:3-201 Negotiation.
- 490:3-202 Negotiation subject to rescission.
- 490:3-203 Transfer of instrument; rights acquired by transfer.
- 490:3-204 Indorsement.
- 490:3-205 Special indorsement; blank indorsement; anomalous indorsement.
- 490:3-206 Restrictive indorsement.
- 490:3-207 Reacquisition.
PART 3. ENFORCEMENT OF INSTRUMENTS
- 490:3-301 Person entitled to enforce instrument.
- 490:3-302 Holder in due course.
- 490:3-303 Value and consideration.
- 490:3-304 Overdue instrument.
- 490:3-305 Defenses and claims in recoupment.
- 490:3-306 Claims to an instrument.
- 490:3-307 Notice of breach of fiduciary duty.
- 490:3-308 Proof of signatures and status as holder in due course.
- 490:3-309 Enforcement of lost, destroyed, or stolen instrument.
- 490:3-310 Effect of instrument on obligation for which taken.
- 490:3-311 Accord and satisfaction by use of instrument.
- 490:3-312 Lost, destroyed, or stolen cashier's check, teller's check, or certified check.
PART 4. LIABILITY OF PARTIES
- 490:3-401 Signature.
- 490:3-402 Signature by representative.
- 490:3-403 Unauthorized signature.
- 490:3-404 Impostors; fictitious payees.
- 490:3-405 Employer responsibility for fraudulent indorsement by employee.
- 490:3-406 Negligence contributing to forged signature or alteration of instrument.
- 490:3-407 Alteration.
- 490:3-408 Drawee not liable on unaccepted draft.
- 490:3-409 Acceptance of draft; certified check.
- 490:3-410 Acceptance varying draft.
- 490:3-411 Refusal to pay cashier's checks, teller's checks, and certified checks.
- 490:3-412 Obligation of issuer of note or cashier's check.
- 490:3-413 Obligation of acceptor.
- 490:3-414 Obligation of drawer.
- 490:3-415 Obligation of indorser.
- 490:3-416 Transfer warranties.
- 490:3-417 Presentment warranties.
- 490:3-418 Payment or acceptance by mistake.
- 490:3-419 Instruments signed for accommodation.
- 490:3-420 Conversion of instrument.
PART 5. DISHONOR
- 490:3-501 Presentment.
- 490:3-502 Dishonor.
- 490:3-503 Notice of dishonor.
- 490:3-504 Excused presentment and notice of dishonor.
- 490:3-505 Evidence of dishonor.
- 490:3-506 Dishonored check; action for treble damages; procedures.
- 490:3-506.5 Charges for dishonored checks.
PART 6. DISCHARGE AND PAYMENT
- 490:3-601 Discharge and effect of discharge.
- 490:3-602 Payment.
- 490:3-603 Tender of payment.
- 490:3-604 Discharge by cancellation or renunciation.
- 490:3-605 Discharge of indorsers and accommodation parties.
BANK DEPOSITS AND COLLECTIONS
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS AND DEFINITIONS
- 490:4-101 Short title.
- 490:4-102 Applicability.
- 490:4-103 Variation by agreement; measure of damages; action constituting ordinary care.
- 490:4-104 Definitions and index of definitions.
- 490:4-105 "Bank"; "depositary bank"; "payor bank"; "intermediary bank"; "collecting bank"; "presenting bank".
- 490:4-106 Payable through or payable at bank; collecting bank.
- 490:4-107 Separate office of a bank.
- 490:4-108 Time of receipt of items.
- 490:4-109 [OLD] REPEALED.
- 490:4-110 Electronic presentment.
- 490:4-111 Statute of limitations.
PART 2. COLLECTION OF ITEMS:
DEPOSITARY AND COLLECTING BANKS
- 490:4-201 Status of collecting bank as agent and provisional status of credits; applicability of article; item indorsed "pay any bank".
- 490:4-202 Responsibility for collection or return; when action timely.
- 490:4-203 Effect of instructions.
- 490:4-204 Methods of sending and presenting; sending directly to payor bank.
- 490:4-205 Depositary bank holder of unindorsed item.
- 490:4-206 Transfer between banks.
- 490:4-207 Transfer warranties.
- 490:4-208 Presentment warranties.
- 490:4-209 Encoding and retention warranties.
- 490:4-210 Security interest of collecting bank in items, accompanying documents and proceeds.
- 490:4-211 [OLD] REPEALED.
- 490:4-212 Presentment by notice of item not payable by, through, or at a bank; liability of drawer or indorser.
- 490:4-213 Medium and time of settlement by bank.
- 490:4-214 Right of charge back or refund; liability of collecting bank; return of item.
- 490:4-215 Final payment of item by payor bank; when provisional debits and credits become final; when certain credits become available for withdrawal.
- 490:4-216 Insolvency and preference.
PART 3. COLLECTION OF ITEMS; PAYOR BANKS
- 490:4-301 Deferred posting; recovery of payment by return of items; time of dishonor; return of items by payor bank.
- 490:4-302 Payor bank's responsibility for late return of item.
- 490:4-303 When items subject to notice, stop-payment order, legal process, or setoff; order in which items may be charged or certified.
PART 4. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PAYOR
BANK AND ITS CUSTOMER
- 490:4-401 When bank may charge customer's account.
- 490:4-402 Bank's liability to customer for wrongful dishonor; time of determining insufficiency of account.
- 490:4-403 Customer's right to stop payment; burden of proof of loss.
- 490:4-404 Bank not obligated to pay check more than six months old.
- 490:4-405 Death or incompetence of customer.
- 490:4-406 Customer's duty to discover and report unauthorized signature or alteration.
- 490:4-407 Payor bank's right to subrogation on improper payment.
PART 5. COLLECTION OF DOCUMENTARY DRAFTS
- 490:4-501 Handling of documentary drafts; duty to send for presentment and to notify customer of dishonor.
- 490:4-502 Presentment of "on arrival" drafts.
- 490:4-503 Responsibility of presenting bank for documents and goods; report of reasons for dishonor; referee in case of need.
- 490:4-504 Privilege of presenting bank to deal with goods; security interest for expenses.
PART 1. SUBJECT MATTER AND DEFINITIONS
- 490:4A-101 Short title.
- 490:4A-102 Subject matter.
- 490:4A-103 Payment order--definitions.
- 490:4A-104 Funds transfer--definitions.
- 490:4A-105 Other definitions.
- 490:4A-106 Time payment order is received.
- 490:4A-107 Federal reserve regulations and operating circulars.
- 490:4A-108 Relationship to Electronic Fund Transfer Act.
PART 2. ISSUE AND ACCEPTANCE OF PAYMENT ORDER
- 490:4A-201 Security procedure.
- 490:4A-202 Authorized and verified payment orders.
- 490:4A-203 Unenforceability of certain verified payment orders.
- 490:4A-204 Refund of payment and duty of customer to report with respect to unauthorized payment order.
- 490:4A-205 Erroneous payment orders.
- 490:4A-206 Transmission of payment order through funds-transfer or other communication system.
- 490:4A-207 Misdescription of beneficiary.
- 490:4A-208 Misdescription of intermediary bank or beneficiary's bank.
- 490:4A-209 Acceptance of payment order.
- 490:4A-210 Rejection of payment order.
- 490:4A-211 Cancellation and amendment of payment order.
- 490:4A-212 Liability and duty of receiving bank regarding unaccepted payment order.
PART 3. EXECUTION OF SENDER'S
PAYMENT ORDER BY RECEIVING BANK
- 490:4A-301 Execution and execution date.
- 490:4A-302 Obligations of receiving bank in execution of payment order.
- 490:4A-303 Erroneous execution of payment order.
- 490:4A-304 Duty of sender to report erroneously executed payment order.
- 490:4A-305 Liability for late or improper execution or failure to execute payment order.
PART 4. PAYMENT
- 490:4A-401 Payment date.
- 490:4A-402 Obligation of sender to pay receiving bank.
- 490:4A-403 Payment by sender to receiving bank.
- 490:4A-404 Obligation of beneficiary's bank to pay and give notice to beneficiary.
- 490:4A-405 Payment by beneficiary's bank to beneficiary.
- 490:4A-406 Payment by originator to beneficiary; discharge of underlying obligation.
PART 5. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
- 490:4A-501 Variation by agreement and effect of funds-transfer system rule.
- 490:4A-502 Creditor process served on receiving bank; setoff by beneficiary's bank.
- 490:4A-503 Injunction or restraining order with respect to funds transfer.
- 490:4A-504 Order in which items and payment orders may be charged to account; order of withdrawals from account.
- 490:4A-505 Preclusion of objection to debit of customer's account.
- 490:4A-506 Rate of interest.
- 490:4A-507 Choice of law.
ARTICLE 5. OLD
LETTERS OF CREDIT
- 490:5-101 to 490:5-117 REPEALED.
- 490:5-102 Definitions.
- 490:5-103 Scope.
- 490:5-104 Formal requirements.
- 490:5-105 Consideration.
- 490:5-106 Issuance, amendment, cancellation, and duration.
- 490:5-107 Confirmer, nominated person, and advisor.
- 490:5-108 Issuer's rights and obligations.
- 490:5-109 Fraud and forgery.
- 490:5-110 Warranties.
- 490:5-111 Remedies.
- 490:5-112 Transfer of letter of credit.
- 490:5-113 Transfer by operation of law.
- 490:5-114 Assignment of proceeds.
- 490:5-115 Statute of limitations.
- 490:5-116 Choice of law and forum.
- 490:5-117 Subrogation of issuer, applicant, and nominated person.
- 490:5-118 Security interest of issuer or nominated person.
ARTICLE 6. OLD
REPEALED. L 1991, c 119, §4.
ARTICLE 7. OLD
WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS, BILLS OF LADING
AND OTHER DOCUMENTS OF TITLE
- 490:7-101 to 490:7-603 REPEALED.
- 490:7-102 Definitions and index of definitions.
- 490:7-103 Relation of article to treaty or statute.
- 490:7-104 Negotiable and nonnegotiable document of title.
- 490:7-105 Reissuance in alternative medium.
- 490:7-106 Control of electronic document of title.
PART 2. WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS: SPECIAL PROVISIONS
- 490:7-201 Person that may issue a warehouse receipt; storage under bond.
- 490:7-202 Form of warehouse receipt; effect of omission.
- 490:7-203 Liability for nonreceipt or misdescription.
- 490:7-204 Duty of care; contractual limitation of warehouse's liability.
- 490:7-205 Title under warehouse receipt defeated in certain cases.
- 490:7-206 Termination of storage at warehouse's option.
- 490:7-207 Goods must be kept separate; fungible goods.
- 490:7-208 Altered warehouse receipts.
- 490:7-209 Lien of warehouse.
- 490:7-210 Enforcement of warehouse's lien.
PART 3. BILLS OF LADING: SPECIAL PROVISIONS
- 490:7-301 Liability for nonreceipt or misdescription; "said to contain"; "shipper's weight, load, and count"; improper handling.
- 490:7-302 Through bills of lading and similar documents of title.
- 490:7-303 Diversion; reconsignment; change of instructions.
- 490:7-304 Tangible bills of lading in a set.
- 490:7-305 Destination bills.
- 490:7-306 Altered bills of lading.
- 490:7-307 Lien of carrier.
- 490:7-308 Enforcement of carrier's lien.
- 490:7-309 Duty of care; contractual limitation of carrier's liability.
PART 4. WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS AND BILLS OF LADING:
- 490:7-401 Irregularities in issue of receipt or bill or conduct of issuer.
- 490:7-402 Duplicate document of title; overissue.
- 490:7-403 Obligation of bailee to deliver; excuse.
- 490:7-404 No liability for good-faith delivery pursuant to document of title.
PART 5. WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS AND BILLS OF LADING:
NEGOTIATION AND TRANSFER
- 490:7-501 Form of negotiation and requirements of due negotiation.
- 490:7-502 Rights acquired by due negotiation.
- 490:7-503 Document of title to goods defeated in certain cases.
- 490:7-504 Rights acquired in absence of due negotiation; effect of diversion; stoppage of delivery.
- 490:7-505 Indorser not guarantor for other parties.
- 490:7-506 Delivery without indorsement: right to compel indorsement.
- 490:7-507 Warranties on negotiation or delivery of document of title.
- 490:7-508 Warranties of collecting bank as to documents of title.
- 490:7-509 Adequate compliance with commercial contract.
PART 6. WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS AND BILLS OF LADING:
- 490:7-601 Lost, stolen, or destroyed documents of title.
- 490:7-602 Judicial process against goods covered by negotiable document of title.
- 490:7-603 Conflicting claims; interpleader.
PART 7. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
ARTICLE 8. OLD
- 490:8-101 to 490:8-408 REPEALED.
- 490:8-102 Definitions.
- 490:8-103 Rules for determining whether certain obligations and interests are securities or financial assets.
- 490:8-104 Acquisition of security or financial asset or interest therein.
- 490:8-105 Notice of adverse claim.
- 490:8-106 Control.
- 490:8-107 Whether indorsement, instruction, or entitlement order is effective.
- 490:8-108 Warranties in direct holding.
- 490:8-109 Warranties in indirect holding.
- 490:8-110 Applicability; choice of law.
- 490:8-111 Clearing corporation rules.
- 490:8-112 Creditor's legal process.
- 490:8-113 Statute of frauds inapplicable.
- 490:8-114 Evidentiary rules concerning certificated securities.
- 490:8-115 Securities intermediary and others not liable to adverse claimant.
- 490:8-116 Securities intermediary as purchaser for value.
PART 2. ISSUE AND ISSUER
- 490:8-201 Issuer.
- 490:8-202 Issuer's responsibility and defenses; notice of defect or defense.
- 490:8-203 Staleness as notice of defect or defense.
- 490:8-204 Effect of issuer's restriction on transfer.
- 490:8-205 Effect of unauthorized signature on security certificate.
- 490:8-206 Completion or alteration of security certificate.
- 490:8-207 Rights and duties of issuer with respect to registered owners.
- 490:8-208 Effect of signature of authenticating trustee, registrar, or transfer agent.
- 490:8-209 Issuer's lien.
- 490:8-210 Overissue.
PART 3. TRANSFER OF CERTIFICATED
AND UNCERTIFICATED SECURITIES
- 490:8-301 Delivery.
- 490:8-302 Rights of purchaser.
- 490:8-303 Protected purchaser.
- 490:8-304 Indorsement.
- 490:8-305 Instruction.
- 490:8-306 Effect of guaranteeing signature, indorsement, or instruction.
- 490:8-307 Purchaser's right to requisites for registration of transfer.
PART 4. REGISTRATION
- 490:8-401 Duty of issuer to register transfer.
- 490:8-402 Assurance that indorsement or instruction is effective.
- 490:8-403 Demand that issuer not register transfer.
- 490:8-404 Wrongful registration.
- 490:8-405 Replacement of lost, destroyed, or wrongfully taken security certificate.
- 490:8-406 Obligation to notify issuer of lost, destroyed, or wrongfully taken security certificate.
- 490:8-407 Authenticating trustee, transfer agent, and registrar.
PART 5. SECURITY ENTITLEMENTS
- 490:8-501 Securities account; acquisition of security entitlement from securities intermediary.
- 490:8-502 Assertion of adverse claim against entitlement holder.
- 490:8-503 Property interest of entitlement holder in financial asset held by securities intermediary.
- 490:8-504 Duty of securities intermediary to maintain financial asset.
- 490:8-505 Duty of securities intermediary with respect to payments and distributions.
- 490:8-506 Duty of securities intermediary to exercise rights as directed by entitlement holder.
- 490:8-507 Duty of securities intermediary to comply with entitlement order.
- 490:8-508 Duty of securities intermediary to change entitlement holder's position to other form of security holding.
- 490:8-509 Specification of duties of securities intermediary by other statute or regulation; manner of performance of duties of securities intermediary and exercise of rights of entitlement holder.
- 490:8-510 Rights of purchaser of security entitlement from entitlement holder.
- 490:8-511 Priority among security interests and entitlement holders.
ARTICLE 9. OLD
SECURED TRANSACTIONS; SALES OF ACCOUNTS,
CONTRACT RIGHTS AND CHATTEL PAPER
- 490:9-101 to 490:9-507 REPEALED.
- 490:9-102 Definitions and index of definitions.
- 490:9-103 Purchase-money security interest; application of payments; burden of establishing.
- 490:9-104 Control of deposit account.
- 490:9-105 Control of electronic chattel paper.
- 490:9-106 Control of investment property.
- 490:9-107 Control of letter-of-credit right.
- 490:9-108 Sufficiency of description.
Subpart 2. Applicability of Article
PART 2. EFFECTIVENESS OF SECURITY AGREEMENT; ATTACHMENT
OF SECURITY INTEREST; RIGHTS OF PARTIES TO SECURITY AGREEMENT
Subpart 1. Effectiveness and Attachment
- 490:9-201 General effectiveness of security agreement.
- 490:9-202 Title to collateral immaterial.
- 490:9-203 Attachment and enforceability of security interest; proceeds; supporting obligations; formal requisites.
- 490:9-204 After-acquired property; future advances.
- 490:9-205 Use or disposition of collateral permissible.
- 490:9-206 Security interest arising in purchase or delivery of financial asset.
Subpart 2. Rights and Duties
- 490:9-207 Rights and duties of secured party having possession or control of collateral.
- 490:9-208 Additional duties of secured party having control of collateral.
- 490:9-209 Duties of secured party if account debtor has been notified of assignment.
- 490:9-210 Request for accounting; request regarding list of collateral or statement of account.
PART 3. PERFECTION AND PRIORITY
Subpart 1. Law Governing Perfection and Priority
- 490:9-301 Law governing perfection and priority of security interests.
- 490:9-302 Law governing perfection and priority of agricultural liens.
- 490:9-303 Law governing perfection and priority of security interests in goods covered by a certificate of title.
- 490:9-304 Law governing perfection and priority of security interests in deposit accounts.
- 490:9-305 Law governing perfection and priority of security interests in investment property.
- 490:9-306 Law governing perfection and priority of security interests in letter-of-credit rights.
- 490:9-307 Location of debtor.
Subpart 2. Perfection
- 490:9-308 When security interest or agricultural lien is perfected; continuity of perfection.
- 490:9-309 Security interest perfected upon attachment.
- 490:9-310 When filing required to perfect security interest or agricultural lien; security interests and agricultural liens to which filing provisions do not apply.
- 490:9-311 Perfection of security interests in property subject to certain statutes, regulations, and treaties.
- 490:9-312 Perfection of security interests in chattel paper, deposit accounts, documents, goods covered by documents, instruments, investment property, letter-of-credit rights, and money; perfection by permissive filing; temporary perfection without filing or transfer of possession.
- 490:9-313 When possession by or delivery to secured party perfects security interest without filing.
- 490:9-314 Perfection by control.
- 490:9-315 Secured party's rights on disposition of collateral and in proceeds.
- 490:9-316 Effect of change in governing law.
Subpart 3. Priority
- 490:9-317 Interests that take priority over or take free of security interest or agricultural lien.
- 490:9-318 No interest retained in right to payment that is sold; rights and title of seller of account or chattel paper with respect to creditors and purchasers.
- 490:9-319 Rights and title of consignee with respect to creditors and purchasers.
- 490:9-320 Buyer of goods.
- 490:9-321 Licensee of general intangible and lessee of goods in ordinary course of business.
- 490:9-322 Priorities among conflicting security interests in and agricultural liens on same collateral.
- 490:9-323 Future advances.
- 490:9-324 Priority of purchase-money security interests.
- 490:9-325 Priority of security interests in transferred collateral.
- 490:9-326 Priority of security interests created by new debtor.
- 490:9-327 Priority of security interests in deposit account.
- 490:9-328 Priority of security interests in investment property.
- 490:9-329 Priority of security interests in letter-of-credit right.
- 490:9-330 Priority of purchaser of chattel paper or instrument.
- 490:9-331 Priority of rights of purchasers of instruments, documents, and securities under other articles; priority of interests in financial assets and security entitlements under article 8.
- 490:9-332 Transfer of money; transfer of funds from deposit account.
- 490:9-333 Priority of certain liens arising by operation of law.
- 490:9-334 Priority of security interests in fixtures and crops.
- 490:9-335 Accessions.
- 490:9-336 Commingled goods.
- 490:9-337 Priority of security interests in goods covered by certificate of title.
- 490:9-338 Priority of security interest or agricultural lien perfected by filed financing statement providing certain incorrect information.
- 490:9-339 Priority subject to subordination.
Subpart 4. Rights of Bank
- 490:9-340 Effectiveness of right of recoupment or set-off against deposit account.
- 490:9-341 Bank's rights and duties with respect to deposit account.
- 490:9-342 Bank's right to refuse to enter into or disclose existence of control agreement.
PART 4. RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES
- 490:9-401 Alienability of debtor's rights.
- 490:9-402 Secured party not obligated on contract of debtor or in tort.
- 490:9-403 Agreement not to assert defenses against assignee.
- 490:9-404 Rights acquired by assignee; claims and defenses against assignee.
- 490:9-405 Modification of assigned contract.
- 490:9-406 Discharge of account debtor; notification of assignment; identification and proof of assignment; restrictions on assignment of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, and promissory notes ineffective.
- 490:9-407 Restrictions on creation or enforcement of security interest in leasehold interest or in lessor's residual interest.
- 490:9-408 Restrictions on assignment of promissory notes, health-care-insurance receivables, and certain general intangibles ineffective.
- 490:9-409 Restrictions on assignment of letter-of-credit rights ineffective.
PART 5. FILING
Subpart 1. Filing Office; Contents and
Effectiveness of Financing Statement
- 490:9-501 Filing office.
- 490:9-502 Contents of financing statement; record of mortgage as financing statement; time of filing financing statement.
- 490:9-503 Name of debtor and secured party.
- 490:9-504 Indication of collateral.
- 490:9-505 Filing and compliance with other statutes and treaties for consignments, leases, other bailments, and other transactions.
- 490:9-506 Effect of errors or omissions.
- 490:9-507 Effect of certain events on effectiveness of financing statement.
- 490:9-508 Effectiveness of financing statement if new debtor becomes bound by security agreement.
- 490:9-509 Persons entitled to file a record.
- 490:9-510 Effectiveness of filed record.
- 490:9-511 Secured party of record.
- 490:9-512 Amendment of financing statement.
- 490:9-513 Termination statement.
- 490:9-514 Assignment of powers of secured party of record.
- 490:9-515 Duration and effectiveness of financing statement; effect of lapsed financing statement.
- 490:9-516 What constitutes filing; effectiveness of filing.
- 490:9-517 Effect of indexing errors.
- 490:9-518 Claim concerning inaccurate or wrongfully filed record.
Subpart 2. Duties and Operation of Filing Office
- 490:9-519 Numbering, maintaining, and indexing records; communicating information provided in records.
- 490:9-520 Acceptance and refusal to accept record.
- 490:9-521 Uniform form of written financing statement and amendment.
- 490:9-522 Maintenance and destruction of records.
- 490:9-523 Information from filing office; sale or license of records.
- 490:9-524 Delay by filing office.
- 490:9-525 Fees.
- 490:9-526 Filing-office rules.
- 490:9-527 Duty to report.
PART 6. DEFAULT
Subpart 1. Default and Enforcement of Security Interest
- 490:9-601 Rights after default; judicial enforcement; consignor or buyer of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes.
- 490:9-602 Waiver and variance of rights and duties.
- 490:9-603 Agreement on standards concerning rights and duties.
- 490:9-604 Procedure if security agreement covers real property or fixtures.
- 490:9-605 Unknown debtor or secondary obligor.
- 490:9-606 Time of default for agricultural lien.
- 490:9-607 Collection and enforcement by secured party.
- 490:9-608 Application of proceeds of collection or enforcement; liability for deficiency and right to surplus.
- 490:9-609 Secured party's right to take possession after default.
- 490:9-610 Disposition of collateral after default.
- 490:9-611 Notification before disposition of collateral.
- 490:9-612 Timeliness of notification before disposition of collateral.
- 490:9-613 Contents and form of notification before disposition of collateral: general.
- 490:9-614 Contents and form of notification before disposition of collateral: consumer-goods transaction.
- 490:9-615 Application of proceeds of disposition; liability for deficiency and right to surplus.
- 490:9-616 Explanation of calculation of surplus or deficiency.
- 490:9-617 Rights of transferee of collateral.
- 490:9-618 Rights and duties of certain secondary obligors.
- 490:9-619 Transfer of record or legal title.
- 490:9-620 Acceptance of collateral in full or partial satisfaction of obligation; compulsory disposition of collateral.
- 490:9-621 Notification of proposal to accept collateral.
- 490:9-622 Effect of acceptance of collateral.
- 490:9-623 Right to redeem collateral.
- 490:9-624 Waiver.
Subpart 2. Noncompliance with Article
- 490:9-625 Remedies for secured party's failure to comply with article.
- 490:9-626 Action in which deficiency or surplus is in issue.
- 490:9-627 Determination of whether conduct was commercially reasonable.
- 490:9-628 Nonliability and limitation on liability of secured party; liability of secondary obligor.
PART 7. TRANSITION
- 490:9-701 Effective date.
- 490:9-702 Savings clause.
- 490:9-703 Security interest perfected before effective date.
- 490:9-704 Security interest unperfected before effective date.
- 490:9-705 Effectiveness of action taken before effective date.
- 490:9-706 When initial financing statement suffices to continue effectiveness of financing statement.
- 490:9-707 Amendment of pre-effective-date financing statement.
- 490:9-708 Persons entitled to file initial financing statement or continuation statement.
- 490:9-709 Priority.
PART 8. TRANSITION PROVISIONS FOR 2010 AMENDMENTS
- 490:9-801 Effective date.
- 490:9-802 Savings clause.
- 490:9-803 Security interest perfected prior to July 1, 2013.
- 490:9-804 Security interest unperfected before July 1, 2013.
- 490:9-805 Effectiveness of action taken before July 1, 2013.
- 490:9-806 When initial financing statement suffices to continue effectiveness of financing statement.
- 490:9-807 Amendment of pre-effective-date financing statement.
- 490:9-808 Person entitled to file initial financing statement or continuation statement.
- 490:9-809 Priority.
EFFECTIVE DATE AND REPEALER
- 490:10-101 Effective date.
- 490:10-102 Specific repealer; provision for transition.
- 490:10-103 General repealer.
- 490:10-103.1 Inconsistent laws.
- 490:10-104 Laws not repealed.
EFFECTIVE DATE AND TRANSITION PROVISIONS--1978
- 490:11-101 Effective date.
- 490:11-102 Preservation of old transition provision.
- 490:11-103 Transition to new U.C.C.--General Rule.
- 490:11-104 Transition provision on change of requirement of filing.
- 490:11-105 Transition provision on change of place of filing.
- 490:11-106 Required refilings.
- 490:11-107 Transition provisions as to priorities.
- 490:11-108 Presumption that rule of law continues unchanged.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.