2013 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 24. INSURANCE
431. Insurance Code
431:10D-213 Standard provisions required.
§431:10D-213 Standard provisions required. (a) No policy of group life insurance shall be delivered or issued for delivery in this State unless it contains in substance the standard provisions set forth below, or provisions that in the opinion of the commissioner are more favorable to the individuals insured. The policy shall provide that:
(1) Grace period. The policyholder is entitled to a grace period of not fewer than thirty days, for the payment of any premium due except the first, during which grace period the death benefit coverage shall continue in force, unless the policyholder has given the insurer written notice of discontinuance in advance of the date of discontinuance and in accordance with the terms of the policy. The policy may provide that the policyholder shall be liable to the insurer for the payment of a pro rata premium for the time the policy was in force during the grace period.
(2) Incontestability. The validity of the policy shall not be contested, except for nonpayment of premiums, after it has been in force for two years from its date of issue; and that no statement made by an individual insured under the policy relating to the individual's insurability shall be used in contesting the validity of the insurance with respect to which the statement was made, after the insurance has been in force prior to the contest for a period of two years during the individual's lifetime, nor unless it is contained in a written instrument signed by the individual.
(3) The contract, representations. A copy of the application, if any, of the policyholder shall be attached to the policy when issued and become a part of the contract; all statements made by the policyholder or by the persons insured shall be deemed representations and not warranties, and no statement made by any person insured shall be used in any contest unless a copy of the instrument containing the statement is or has been furnished to such persons, or, in the event of death or incapacity of the insured person, to the person's beneficiary or personal representative.
(4) Insurability. The conditions, if any, under which the insurer reserves the right to require a person eligible for insurance to furnish evidence of individual insurability satisfactory to the insurer as a condition to part or all of the individual's coverage.
(5) Misstatement of age. An equitable adjustment of premiums or of benefits or of both shall be made in the event the age of a person insured has been misstated, containing a clear statement of the method of adjustment to be used.
(6) Beneficiary. Any sum becoming due by reason of the death of the individual insured shall be payable to the beneficiary designated by the individual subject to the provisions of the policy in the event there is no designated beneficiary, as to all or any part of the sum, living at the death of the individual insured, and subject to any right reserved by the insurer in the policy and set forth in the certificate to pay at its option a part of the sum not exceeding $2,000 to any person appearing to the insurer to be equitably entitled thereto by reason of having incurred funeral or other expenses incident to the last illness or death of the individual insured.
(7) Certificates. The insurer will issue to the policyholder for delivery to each individual insured an individual certificate setting forth a statement as to the insurance protection to which the individual is entitled, to whom the insurance benefits are payable, and the rights and conditions set forth in paragraphs (8), (9), and (10).
(8) Conversion on termination of eligibility. If the insurance, or any portion of it, on an individual covered under the policy ceases because of termination of employment or of membership in the class or classes eligible for coverage under the policy, the individual shall be entitled to have issued to the individual by the insurer, without evidence of insurability, an individual policy of life insurance without disability or other supplementary benefits; provided that:
(A) Application for the individual policy shall be made, and the first premium paid to the insurer, within not fewer than thirty days, after such termination;
(B) The individual policy shall, at the option of the individual, be on any one of the forms then customarily issued by the insurer at the age and for the amount applied for, except that the group policy may exclude the option to elect term insurance;
(C) The individual policy shall be in an amount not in excess of the amount of life insurance that ceases because of such termination nor less than $1,000 unless a smaller amount of coverage was provided for the individual under the group policy less the amount of any life insurance for which such person becomes eligible under the same or any other group policy within not fewer than thirty days after such termination; provided that any amount of insurance that shall have matured on or before the date of such termination as an endowment payable to the individual insured, whether in one sum or in installments or in the form of an annuity, shall not, for the purposes of this provision, be included in the amount that is considered to cease because of such termination; and
(D) The premium on the individual policy shall be at the insurer's then customary rate applicable to the form and amount of the individual policy, to the class of risk to which the individual then belongs, and to the individual's age attained on the effective date of the individual policy.
(9) Conversion on termination of policy. If the group policy terminates or is amended so as to terminate the insurance of any class of insured individuals, every individual insured thereunder at the date of such termination whose insurance terminates, including the insured dependent of a covered person, and who has been so insured for at least five years prior to the termination date shall be entitled to have issued to the individual by the insurer an individual policy of life insurance, subject to the same conditions and limitations as are provided by paragraph (8), except that the group policy may provide that the amount of such individual policy shall not exceed the smaller of:
(A) The amount of the individual's life insurance protection ceasing because of the termination or amendment of the group policy, less the amount of any life insurance for which the individual is or becomes eligible under any group policy issued or reinstated by the same or another insurer within not fewer than thirty days of such termination; or
(10) Death pending conversion. If an individual insured under the group policy, or the insured dependent of a covered person, dies during the period within which the individual would have been entitled to have an individual policy issued to the individual in accordance with paragraphs (8) and (9), and before such an individual policy shall have become effective, the amount of life insurance that the individual would have been entitled to have issued to the individual under such individual policy shall be payable as a claim under the group policy, regardless of whether the individual policy or the payment of the first premium therefor has been made.
(b) Subsection (a)(6) through (a)(10) shall not apply to policies issued to a credit union to insure its members.
(c) Subsection (a)(6), and (a)(8) through (a)(10) shall not apply to policies issued to a creditor to insure its debtors.
(d) If the group life insurance policy is on a plan of insurance other than the term plan, it shall contain a nonforfeiture provision or provisions that in the opinion of the commissioner is or are equitable to the insured persons and to the policyholder, but such nonforfeiture benefits are not required to be the same as those required for individual life insurance policies. [L 1987, c 347, pt of §2; gen ch 1993; am L 2004, c 122, §54]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.