2013 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 2. ELECTIONS
11. Elections, Generally
PART I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- 11-1 Definitions.
- 11-1.5 Office of elections established.
- 11-1.6 Appointment of the chief election officer; requirements; term; restrictions; salary; reappointment; removal.
- 11-1.55 Exemptions.
- 11-2 Chief election officer; duties.
- 11-2.5 to 2.7 REPEALED.
- 11-3 Application of chapter.
- 11-4 Rules and regulations.
- 11-5 Employees.
- 11-6 Petitions; withdrawal of signatures.
- 11-7 Elections commission.
- 11-7.5 Duties of the elections commission.
- 11-8 Elections commission; political activities.
- 11-8.5 Elections review program.
- 11-9 Exemptions.
- 11-10 Candidates for public office; public service announcements; public funds.
PART II. REGISTRATION
- 11-11 Registration.
- 11-12 Age; place of registering.
- 11-13 Rules for determining residency.
- 11-14 General county register; restrictions in use.
- 11-14.5 Residence address; confidentiality.
- 11-14.6 REPEALED.
- 11-15 Application to register.
- 11-15.3 Application to register electronically.
- 11-15.5 Duties of all state agencies; voter registration.
- 11-16 Application when not made in person.
- 11-17 Removal of names from register, when; reregistration.
- 11-18 Transfer of registration on removal from one precinct to another in same county.
- 11-19 Registration from one county to another.
- 11-20 Transfers; name changes; initiated by clerk.
- 11-21 Change of name, transfer on election day.
- 11-22 Changing register; correction of errors.
- 11-23 Changing register; striking names of disqualified voters.
- 11-24 Closing register.
- 11-25 Challenge by voters; grounds; procedure.
- 11-26 Appeal from ruling on challenge; or failure of clerk to act.
PART III. BOARDS OF REGISTRATION
- 11-41 Boards of registration, appointment, tenure.
- 11-42 Compensation.
- 11-43 Powers; procedures.
- 11-44 Records of proceedings.
PART IV. APPEAL FROM BOARD OF REGISTRATION
- 11-51 Appeal from board.
- 11-52 Hearing; decision final.
- 11-53 Decision, notice; action on.
- 11-54 Status pending appeal.
PART V. PARTIES
- 11-61 "Political party" defined.
- 11-62 Qualification of political parties; petition.
- 11-63 Party rules, amendments to be filed.
- 11-64 Names of party officers to be filed.
- 11-65 Determination of party disqualification; notice of disqualification.
PART VI. PRECINCT OFFICIALS AND WATCHERS
- 11-71 Precinct officials; precinct requirements.
- 11-72 Precinct officials; submission of names and assignment; vacancies.
- 11-73 Instruction of precinct officials.
- 11-74 Meetings of precinct officials; procedure; oaths.
- 11-75 Duties of precinct officials.
- 11-76 Compensation.
- 11-77 Appointment of watchers; service.
PART VII. CONDUCT OF ELECTIONS
- 11-91 Proclamation.
- 11-91.5 Federal, state, and county elections by mail.
- 11-92 REPEALED.
- 11-92.1 Election proclamation; establishment of a new precinct.
- 11-92.2 Multiple polling place sites.
- 11-92.3 Consolidated precincts; natural disasters; postponement; absentee voting required; special elections.
- 11-93 Voting units.
- 11-94 Exemptions of voters on election day.
- 11-95 Employees entitled to leave on election day for voting.
- 11-96 Records prima facie evidence.
- 11-97 Records open to inspection.
- 11-98 Forms and materials used in elections.
- 11-99 Members of Congress, applicability of election laws.
PART VIII. BALLOTS
- 11-111 Official and facsimile ballots.
- 11-112 Contents of ballot.
- 11-113 Presidential ballots.
- 11-114 Order of offices on ballot.
- 11-115 Arrangement of names on the ballot.
- 11-116 Checking ballot form by candidates and parties.
- 11-117 Withdrawal of candidates; disqualification; death; notice.
- 11-118 Vacancies; new candidates; insertion of names on ballots.
- 11-118.5 Constitutional amendments, proposed.
- 11-119 Printing; quantity.
- 11-120 Distribution of ballots; record.
PART IX. VOTING PROCEDURES
- 11-131 Hours of voting.
- 11-132 Two hundred foot radius; admission within polling place.
- 11-133 Voting booths; placement of visual aids.
- 11-134 Ballot transport containers; ballot boxes.
- 11-135 Early collection of ballots.
- 11-136 Poll book, identification, voting.
- 11-137 Secrecy; removal or exhibition of ballot.
- 11-138 Time allowed voters.
- 11-139 Voting assistance.
- 11-140 Spoiled ballots.
PART X. VOTE DISPOSITION
- 11-151 Vote count.
- 11-152 Method of counting.
- 11-153 More or less ballots than recorded.
- 11-154 Records, etc.; disposition.
- 11-155 Certification of results of election.
- 11-156 Certificate of election and certificate of results, form.
- 11-157 In case of tie.
PART XI. ELECTION CONTESTS
- 11-171 Applicability of this part.
- 11-172 Contests for cause; generally.
- 11-173 REPEALED.
- 11-173.5 Contests for cause in primary, special primary elections, and county elections held concurrently with a regularly scheduled primary or special primary election.
- 11-174 REPEALED.
- 11-174.5 Contests for cause in general, special general, special, and runoff elections.
- 11-175 Powers of supreme court; costs.
- 11-176 REPEALED.
PART XII. EXPENSES
A. Election Expenses
- 11-181 Capital equipment.
- 11-182 Election expenses when no county elections.
- 11-183 Election expenses when no state elections.
- 11-184 Election expenses and responsibilities in combined state and county elections.
B. Election Campaign Contributions
PART XIII. CAMPAIGN FINANCE
A. General Provisions
B. Campaign Spending Commission
- 11-311 Campaign spending commission established; composition.
- 11-312 Terms of office.
- 11-313 No compensation.
- 11-314 Duties of the commission.
- 11-315 Advisory opinions.
- 11-316 Political activities prohibited.
- 11-317 Exemptions.
- 11-321 Registration of candidate committee or noncandidate committee.
- 11-322 Organizational report, candidate committee.
- 11-323 Organizational report, noncandidate committee.
- 11-324 Treasurer.
- 11-325 When an individual may not serve as a committee officer.
- 11-326 Termination of candidate committee's or noncandidate committee's registration.
- 11-327 Ballot issue committee; contributions and expenditures.
D. Reporting and Filing with the Commission
- 11-331 Filing of reports, generally.
- 11-332 Filing report by corporations.
- 11-333 Candidate committee reports.
- 11-334 Time for candidate committee to file preliminary, final, and supplemental reports.
- 11-335 Noncandidate committee reports.
- 11-336 Time for noncandidate committee to file preliminary, final, and supplemental reports.
- 11-337 Reporting expenditures.
- 11-338 Late contributions; report.
- 11-339 Final election period report for candidate committee or noncandidate committee receiving and expending $1,000 or less during the election period.
- 11-340 Failure to file report; filing a substantially defective or deficient report.
- 11-341 Electioneering communications; statement of information.
- 11-342 Fundraiser; notice of intent.
- 11-343 Reporting deadline.
- 11-344 Sale or use of information.
E. Contributions; Prohibitions; Limits
- 11-351 Contributions, generally.
- 11-352 False name contributions prohibited.
- 11-353 Anonymous contributions prohibited.
- 11-354 Fundraising on state or county property prohibited.
- 11-355 Contributions by state and county contractors prohibited.
- 11-356 Contributions by foreign national or foreign corporation prohibited.
- 11-357 Contributions to candidate committees; limits.
- 11-358 Contributions to noncandidate committees; limits.
- 11-359 Family contributions.
- 11-360 Contributions to a party.
- 11-361 Aggregation of contributions and expenditures.
- 11-362 Contributions limited from nonresident persons.
- 11-363 Other contributions and expenditures.
- 11-364 Excess contribution; return; escheat.
- 11-371 Loan to candidate committee.
- 11-372 Reporting loan; written loan agreement.
- 11-373 Noncandidate committee loan prohibited.
- 11-381 Campaign funds only used for certain purposes.
- 11-382 Prohibited uses of campaign funds.
- 11-383 Exceptions.
- 11-384 Disposition of campaign funds; termination of registration.
- 11-391 Advertisements.
- 11-392 House bulletins.
- 11-393 Identification of certain top contributors to noncandidate committees making only independent expenditures.
- 11-401 Subpoena powers.
- 11-402 Filing of complaint.
- 11-403 Notice of complaint; opportunity to explain or respond to complaint.
- 11-404 Initial determination by the commission.
- 11-405 Preliminary determination regarding probable cause.
- 11-406 Waiver of further proceedings.
- 11-407 Contested case hearing.
- 11-408 Dismissal.
- 11-409 Final determination of violation; order.
- 11-410 Administrative fines; relief.
- 11-411 Criminal referral.
- 11-412 Criminal prosecution.
J. Partial Public Financing
- 11-421 Hawaii election campaign fund; creation.
- 11-422 Depletion of fund.
- 11-423 Voluntary expenditure limits; filing affidavit.
- 11-424 Tax deduction for qualifying contributions.
- 11-425 Maximum amount of public funds available to candidate.
- 11-426 Candidate exceeds voluntary expenditure limit.
- 11-427 Reserving use of contributions.
- 11-428 Eligibility requirements for public funds.
- 11-429 Minimum qualifying contribution amounts; qualifying contribution statement.
- 11-430 Application for public funds.
- 11-431 Payment to candidate.
- 11-432 Use of public funds.
- 11-433 Post-election report required.
- 11-434 Post-election examination and audit; return of funds.
- 11-435 Report and recommendation.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.