2013 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 19. HEALTH
321. Department of Health
321-174 Coordination of services with department of education.
§321-174 Coordination of services with department of education. The children's mental health services team shall cooperate with the schools located in their particular geographic region in identifying and referring for treatment such children or youths in need of mental health services. In conjunction with the children's mental health services team, the department of education and the department of health shall develop a memorandum of agreement which shall provide for a sharing of responsibilities for the affected agencies and shall include but not be limited to provisions for:
(1) Accepting referrals from the school counselors and diagnostic teams for evaluation and direct treatment of children and youth suffering from mental and emotional disorders;
(2) Providing consultation to enable teachers and other school personnel to aid in the identification and screening of children in need of professional mental health services and the services of psychologists, as defined in chapter 465;
(3) Providing training and education about emotional disturbances of children to teachers, school counselors, and parents;
(4) Assisting the department of education with mental health services and the services of psychologists, as defined in chapter 465 for handicapped children;
(5) Developing an ongoing mechanism to assess, document and report to the legislature and the governor unmet needs for mental health services for students in each geographic region; and
(6) Performing other related services for school personnel, children, and parents. [L 1974, c 211, pt of §1; am L 1980, c 59, §3; am L 1985, c 55, §3; am L 1988, c 257, §1]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.